Please sign in to post.

Hotel in London

There are. 4 of us and we plan to spend $150 a night lodging. We will have a Britrail UK pass. We will be in London on two Sundays. Seems like lots of attractions are closed which means areas will be unpopulated. What area of London should we stay in to be near open attractions? Do you have any specific places to stay? Do you have any Sun morn activities suggestions in or near London? Thank you so much!

Posted by
1446 posts

Marsha, I think you are going to have a very difficult time finding accomodations for 150 a night for 4 people. I have stayed at the Aaron House Hotel which is considered budget. You can get a quad room without bathroom there for 155 pounds a night. With an ensuite bathroom there quad rate is 175 pounds a night. The Aaron house hotel is on Gower street, and not too far from the British Museum which I believe is open on Sundays. I don't believe any areas of London will be less "populated" on Sundays than any other days. I'm sure Harrods and most of the other stores are also open. I once got a room for 2 nights in London for around $100 a night by bidding on priceline. It was a very nice buisiness class hotel, and worked quite well. I'm not sure how this would work for 4 people though as you can't choose room type. You might have to get 2 rooms with this method.

Posted by
8688 posts

Curious as to where you heard or read that a lot of the sights are closed on Sundays in London. Yes, operating hours can be shorter but Sunday is one of the busiest days to see the sights. Which in particular are you referring to? As far as areas being unpopulated, it's London!!! Always full of people!!! Reading how you've worded your question I'm thinking you believe you are posting to travel professionals. Actually, we are simply folks who HAVE traveled and are willing to share our thoughts and make suggestions to help as you engage in research for your journey. London is one of the most expensive cities on the planet and to be blunt you need to recalculate your lodging budget or plan to be disappointed in choices. If you were to read Mr. Steve's book on London you would get an idea of accommodation costs and a list of what is closed and open on Sundays. Since you have the rail pass you'll most likely arrive at Paddington Station, that's the Bayswater area and their are countless places to stay in that neighborhood. As I've noted before the Vancouver Studio Apartments are clean, safe, affordable. Read the Tripadvisor reviews as well. YOu might also use the search engine on the website as well as clicking on most Frequently Asked Questions to get some answers to your questions.

Posted by
10 posts

I agree with Claudia, what have you heard is closed? I can't think of a single London attraction that closes on a Sunday. There may be a few but not many. A lot of places do have reduced hours though - 10 to 4 or 11 to 5 usually.

Posted by
1 posts

The last time I was in London I tried to visit the Twinings Tea Shop and it was closed.

Posted by
340 posts

According to my notes from last fall, the following London sites are closed on Sundays - Borough Market, Twinings Tea, St. Pauls & Westminster Abbey (except for services), and the Portobello Road shops. Most everything else is open until 6PM. Also, good luck finding lodging for 4 people at $150 a night, unless you mean $150 for each room with 2 people per room. We like the London Lodge Hotel, which is a 7 minute walk from the Earls Court tube stop. The hotel is air conditioned, has a lift, their rate includes breakfast, and there are some great pubs and restaurants nearby. Check out their reviews and rates on Trip Advisor.