Please sign in to post.

Hotel in London

My wife and I are staying in London for one night on our way to Italy. I have never been there before and we will have just arrived from san fran, We do not want to spend a lot for the night. Any recommendations??

Posted by
2433 posts

What time do you arrive and what time do you leave the next day, that could be a deciding factor.

Posted by
33585 posts

We do not want to spend a lot for the night What does not a lot mean in £££ (or$$$$)? Everybody has different parameters. Never been to London and leaving after one night? Shame. What time do you arrive? Leave? Train or plane? You might as well stay by an airport so you are not totally bummed about missing London.... Have you got a guidebook? They have lots of suggestions, well researched if you use the RS London 2011 book. If you help us understand we can help you.

Posted by
33 posts

Four years ago, my husband and I stayed at Central Park Hotel in the Hyde Park area. Location was very convenient and price was reasonable. But, the room was very small. If you're just arriving from SF, you might enjoy a nice walk at Kensington Gardens, which is very nearby, to shake off some of the jet lag.

Posted by
970 posts

More info is very much needed. But, if you are arriving at Heathrow and flying out of Heathrow, the next day (or Gatwick), I recommend staying at or near the airport. If you have a lot of time (i.e.,a late night departure) you might think of visiting nearby windsor Castle.

Posted by
3843 posts

As the others posting here have said, more information is needed before we can provide you with useful suggestions. That said, here's a start. I would suggest a hotel at the airport. If you are coming and going from Heathrow, T5 has The Sofitel and T4 has the Hilton. I prefer the Hilton, which I find to be reasonably priced for London. You can easily take the Heathrow Express into London, walk around, see some sights, take the H.E. back out to your hotel. If you have an early flight out the next morning, you're all set.

Posted by
1986 posts

If you have stashed your luggage at your airport hotel- take the Tube into london for sightseeing- or even a night at the theater

Posted by
1157 posts

Not sure of the cost of the airport hotels but it would be worth it to check into one connected to the terminals so you can easily hop on the tube after you dump your luggage and freshen up (way cheaper than Heathrow Express). An evening in London is better than just sitting in your room. If it's too late to get into the sights just walk..Rick's book recommends a few (just check it out of the library and make copies of what you want to do to save $). I recommend taking the tube to the Westminster stop, walking over Westminster Bridge to get some good shots of Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, the Eye. You may even have time to get on the Eye and then do part of the South Bank walk or walk to Trafalgar Square.