Please sign in to post.

Hostels in London?

Hello! My name is Kelly, I'm 23 years old and I will be making a trip to London this summer! I am looking to stay in hostels, and I would like to be very central to London. Location and Security is most important to me. I think the Kensington area is very peaceful and engaging. There are many hostels to choose from, and I've been looking at ACE Hostel, but I would like to get some references on some other great hostels. I'm going to book ahead of time so if anyone has any advice for me please reply!

Posted by
8700 posts

Palmers Lodge is a fairly new hostel that has received several awards. It's a bit north of central London but still within transportation zone 2.

The Arran House Hotel is a highly-rated B&B in Bloomsbury (good central location). In addition to its regular rooms, it has a few dorm-type rooms at hostel-like prices. Everyone gets the full English breakfast.

Posted by
521 posts

Hi Kelly,

I stayed at the Astor Victoria (not quite in the Kensington area but close), which is about a ten-minute walk from Victoria Station where you can catch a train or bus out to the airports. It is also only a five-minute walk from the Pimlico tube station. It was also only about a fifteen-minute walk to Buckingham Palace.

The Astor Hostels also have one in Kensington, but take a look at a site like Hostels.com as they might have a better rate for booking.

The security was excellent there. The main door is locked and you buzz to get in. The cleanliness of the place was amazing and there is someone working there 24/7. I stayed in a co-ed room but they have female-only rooms as well. Finally, they have baggage storage lockers that are quite spacious. The only problem with them is that they require a special lock to close it up, but you can borrow one for free with a five pound deposit.

Posted by
1358 posts

If you don't receive a practical answer on this page you can read the travelers comments for scores of hostels in London.

Click on the section "1338 Reviews" on the right side of this page: http://www.hostelworld.com/hostels/London.

Note that comments for Smart Russel Square Hostel include one saying it is safe. St Christophers Camden Motel comments were the traveler felt safe.

You will find others commenting on safety for some hostels.

Posted by
32212 posts

Kelly,

You might also have a look at the website for HI Hostels. They have properties in central London, and I've always found the facilities (and security) to be fairly consistent. However, one should still practise basic security in dorm rooms (ie: don't leave valuables in the Backpack when you're out touring for the day).

For details on one of the properties, have a look at www.hihostels.com/dba/hostels-London---London-Central-YHA-018282.en.htm (good information on the site, including details on a Tesco supermarket just down the street).

One thing to note is that HI Hostels are a chain, and preferred pricing is offered to members. If you decide to stay at any HI properties, it would be a good idea to purchase the inexpensive membership as it will save you money in the long term.

Happy travels!

Posted by
31 posts

Kelly,
The Ace Hotel in Kensington is the best. I coordinate study abroad trips to Europe twice a year and I've started sending groups of students to the Ace. They love it there and it is on a quiet street. We have two groups going there this year. Hope you like it.