Please sign in to post.

Hostels in London

Does anyone have any recommendations on Hostels in London? I'll be there for 3 days. I don't mind taking the Tube into central london, but I don't want to be on the tube for like 45 mins everyday to get into the city. I don't mind Moving around, in fact, the last night I'm there I'd like to stay pretty close to St Pancras/Kings cross as I will be catching a Eurostar late the following day and want a place to keep my luggage while I'm out and about. So the things I'm looking for in summary: Convenient, reasonably priced, a not shady place, and kinda quiet (not into the whole rowdy hostel thing). Thanks!

Posted by
1806 posts

Check the reviews on Hostelworld.com as you'll find way more backpackers who hostel vs. this board where most stay in budget hotels or B&Bs. Book directly through the hostel so you avoid having to pay the (nominal) booking fee on Hostelworld.com. Hostelworld reviewers (unlike TripAdvisor) actually need to have made a booking in order to leave the review (so you know it's not some pissed off former employee bad-mouthing the place). You can see how a particular hostel is rated in terms of location, price, cleanliness and read reviewers comments about how quiet or noisy the place is. Unless your budget is miniscule for a shared dorm room or you are trying to get a private room in a hostel (which is about as much as a budget hotel or B&B), you are hostelling and should not have to stay someplace that is 45 minutes away from the city center by Tube. It's often worth the money and time saved to stay more central and avoid constantly having to take long public transit rides. Other places to consider looking at are some the universities and colleges around London which rent out dorm rooms to travellers during summer vacations. They often don't cost that much more than a hostel and you get some similar perks (laundry, WiFi, access to a kitchen).

Posted by
951 posts

IN my 7 day trip to London in 2005, I stayed 3 nights at the Piccadilly circus hostel and 3 nights at the Generator. At the Circus, I stayed in a room, where the beds were "pods". I felt that there was way more privacy with that situation than a room full of bunk beds. At the Generator, I stayed in a room full of bunk beds, all exposed to the lights that would be turned on as people returned from drinking at 3 am in the morning (way to be courteous to other fellow hostellers). The generator had a lounge to chill out in, watch movies or TV, with a bar (I think there was a bar). The lounge at the Circus was just a room with a TV with gross bean bags to sit on (I do not think there was a bar). I had regretted not staying in one place and not staying at the Piccadilly Circus.

Posted by
8700 posts

Hosteling International has several hostels in London. HI hostels have to maintain certain standards so any of their London hostels would be fine. It just so happens that there is a HI hostel at St. Pancras. The hostel might be willing to keep your luggage for you after you check out at little or no cost to you. If not, you'll be close to St. Pancras International which has left luggage facilities.

Posted by
93 posts

I have stayed in the Generator in a private room with bunk beds for me and a friend. Bathrooms down the hall. Very nice, and very close to St. Pancras/Kings Cross (about 5 minute walk). It is in Bloomsbury which is my favorite area to stay in. Next month when I go I will be staying some place new in a different area to change things up a little. :) It is recently renovated. Here is the link. http://www.yha.org.uk/find-accommodation/london/hostels/london-oxford-street/index.aspx Both are very reasonable. When I stay in hostels, I always book private rooms. Good luck.