Please sign in to post.

Homeaway.com property and Xoom

Hello, I am getting close to booking a flat in London using Homeaway.com.uk. The owner of the property had recommended xoom.com as a low fee option for transferring funds between the US and UK. Has anyone used this service? When I attempted to use it with the information provided by the owner, the transaction was immediately cancelled by xoom and I was told that the recipient was no longer approved for xoom transactions but would not say why. Does anyone have experience with Xoom?

Posted by
3057 posts

Never heard of Xoom but if the recipient (your landlord) is "no longer approved" that would be a red flag for me.

Posted by
34 posts

Thanks Sasha. That was my thought as well. We've found another property in Putney/Wandsworth. Do you have any experience with these locations? Cheers!

Posted by
9363 posts

Xoom was named by Wall Street Journal to their Top 50 Venture Backed Companies in 2011 and 2012, so I wouldn't worry so much about them. If this property owner has run afoul of them in some way, it does raise concerns, though it could be something simple, not something sinister. It could be a problem with the bank it is going to, not the person. Keep in mind that they told you about Xoom - why would they suggest a company they were no longer OK with? It could be an error, too. I have not used Xoom for transfers, so I don't know what their system is. If you are still interested in the property, I would contact the owner and ask about Xoom's response. If they can't explain it adequately, I would move on.

Posted by
32521 posts

Putney can be quite nice but not terrifically convenient by public transport.

Posted by
34 posts

Thanks Nigel, this was the description I was given. Do you agree? It sounded like access to a train and bus are pretty convenient... The flat is located in the delightful residential riverside area of Putney/Wandsworth in zone 2, just 12-14 minutes by train into Central London (Waterloo or Victoria). Within a 2 minute walk is the 87 bus that takes you directly to the Tate Gallery (30-35 minutes), Westminster Abbey, and Trafalgar Square for just £2.70 return. The District Line tube is 10-12m away. A few minutes' walk away is the river Thames, a tree-lined riverside park, three excellent riverside restaurants, grocery shopping, and several pubs, while the charming and lively Old York Road restaurant and cafe district is a 7 minute walk away. Staying here, away from the tourist crowds, will give you the impression of living an authentic London life.

Posted by
34 posts

I also just moved my Putney/Wandworth question to the a separate Thank you.