Please sign in to post.

Highland Games

We will travel to Scotland for the first time in September, and the only Highland Games taking place during our visit will be in Bonar Bridge, northeast of Inverness. We love the idea of seeing the games in their country of origin, but wonder if it will be worth driving the miles so late in the season. Would we do better to aim for the Highland Games on Cape Breton in Nova Scotia next year, or should we work Bonar Bridge into our itinerary?

Posted by
1986 posts

I enjoyed my few visits to the Highland Games in Scotland. As you say, seeing them in their land of origin is always special. I would do it. Not sure about what you mean by "so late in the season". It was a very different feeling than seeing them in Santa Monica California. The feeling is that all the spectators are knowledgeable and understand what is going on.

Posted by
5678 posts

September is a fine time to visit the Highlands. Bonar Bridge is near Dornoch. There is spectacular seaside scenery on the way north from Inverness. Dornoch itself is a nice little town with a world class golf course a cathedral. Drive a bit further north to just past Golspie and you'll find Dunrobin Castle, the home of the Sutherlands. Just a mile of the castle is the remains of a Broch. We did the trip to Dunrobin as a Day Trip from Fortrose on the Black Isle--another great place to visit. Pam