Please sign in to post.

HighClere Castle

The website do not have any tickets for sale. Does anyone know of a tour company or travel company that has tickets for sale?
Thanks

Posted by
922 posts

I was at Highclere in 2012 with a group. It's very difficult to get tickets. It is the actual lived-in home of the Earl and Countess of Carnarvon, and only a small number of people are admitted each day. The group leader for my group of 10 had arranged for the tickets about a year in advance. You could try for one of the few walk-up tickets they hold in reserve for each open day, but chances are slim.

Posted by
3391 posts

I bought my tickets from the Highclere website the day they went on sale for the summer and it took over 4 hours because their website kept crashing! You'll need to find a day-tour company in London if you're travelling on your own. http://britmovietours.com/bookings/downton-abbey-tour/ This one looks good? You'll probably want to book as soon as you know the date you want to visit.
Good luck!

Posted by
922 posts

Britmovietours.com offers 4 tours related to Downton Abbey. Tour A has only 2 spaces left for 2013 - on 29 August. Tours B and C are sold out for 2013. Tour D seems to have space, but it doesn't include Highclere Castle. Did you glance at the prices?

Posted by
797 posts

The following was posted on Helpline a few months ago, I saved it as we will be going this fall. I think it depends how big a fan you are if you want to do the inside tour. • If you are big Downton Abbey fans, then yes the trip is worth it. We were there July 1st last summer and even though the website said the tickets were sold out, I just wanted to stop by and see the house exterior and gardens. Surprisingly, they let us into the castle too, even though it was "sold out" online. I found that the grounds were very uncrowded and the castle "tour" was very crowded - hordes of people is very accurate. There was no guided tour and they basically herded you through the hallways, only able to peek into the bedrooms. Am I glad I went? Yes. But my husband, who is not a DA fan, did not particularly enjoy it due to the massive crowds inside the house.

Posted by
922 posts

Irv, it's awful to read that. Total opposite of what I experienced when there in June 2012. There were few people inside the house and even fewer outside. Only one tour coach in the parking area, along with a number of individual cars. After touring the inside of the house, it was raining softly and people took refuge inside the food tent at the rear side of the house. I was determined to venture out into the grounds, and there were a zillion yellow and white wildflowers everywhere, and many sheep. The paths through the gardens are wonderful, with beautiful hand-carved benches that have inspirational sayings on plaques attached to them. There's lovely forest and some mysterious glades. The house was set against dark grey lowering clouds as I ambled back and the effect was very dramatic. My feet got soaked in the deep grass, but it was one of the best days of my entire 3-week trip dedicated to the Diamond Jubilee.

Posted by
2023 posts

We tried months ago to get tics to Highclere with no luck. We will be in the area in early September and will stop to tour the grounds. Does anyone have experience with the B&B's that are listed in the HC website?