Please sign in to post.

Helsinki

We will be going to Helsinki on cruise in late June and looking into day tours. Was somewhat interested in the Igloo Hotel & Ice Bar, but wondered if it was worth the time spent going there? Thank you for any info you can give me.

Posted by
12172 posts

Many stops on your cruise will offer an "ice bar" option. They are essentially the same experience - a $20 drink (sometimes $40) in a walk-in freezer. I think they're a fad that will fade quickly. The good news is, it's not much time invested, maybe ten to fifteen minutes. Just enough to have a drink before they shuffle you out and the next group in. They probably want to be sure no one has a chance to get any frostbite. The bad news is it's a kitschy experience, probably not something you would choose to do more than once - to say it sounds better than it is is an understatement. In Helsinki, we liked Suomelinna Island. You can catch a ten minute ferry easily and spend a few hours wandering through the fort complex. We also liked the area from the market square to the train station. Which is all walkable. We took the tram to the Rock Church, which was also disappointing. It's a neat enough place to see, but not really worth a special trip unless contemporary architecture is a major draw for you. The TI, near the market square is very helpful.

Posted by
12172 posts

One other thought. Find out where your cruise will dock - the pursors office can tell you. Some dock an easy walking distance (line of sight) from the market square, others dock further away. If yours won't be close to the market square, get some euros (if you don't already have some) from the ship and take a taxi to the TI/market square/center area. We didn't have euros (most Scandinavian countries use their own currencies) and couldn't find an ATM in the dock area - so had a pretty good hike to the center. There were busses running too, but we didn't have any cash to board them.

Posted by
4535 posts

I haven't done the ice bar, but Brad is right, there are sooooo many great things to see and do in Helsinki, why waste time spending way too much for a bad drink? The market area is wonderful! Down the main avenue from there is the great coffee room pavillion that is worth a break spot. The Lutheran and Russian cathedrals are right near the market area/harbor.