Please sign in to post.

Hampton Court and Travel Cards in March 2011

My family of three will be in London for 9 days, we're taking a day trip to Hampton court and one to Windsor. We are getting a 7 day travel pass at Paddington Rail station so that we can use the 2 for 1 London Days out specials. My daughter will use an oyster card throughout the entire stay as she's the third person. Since we're going to spend most of the time in the central historic area of London aside from our Hampton and Windsor visits; should my husband and I get a zone 1-2 travel pass and just pay for the Hampton court train tickets separately or should I go for the zone 1-6 card which I believe would include train service to Hampton court? I wonder if zone 1-2 is sufficient for the areas which we'll be visiting in London. I have been trying to make sense of fees, fares, etc. but I'm getting confused. Some suggestions?

Posted by
886 posts

I vote that you get only the zone 1-2 and pay for the Hampton Court trip separately. You can do it the day of at the train station and if you go after rush hour (9am), it is very inexpensive.

Posted by
1986 posts

I do not know all the gory details, but last time i took a train to Hampton Court, that train ride was covered by my daily tube ticket (plus London busses). i do not remember what ticket it was , but somebody else will know. i think it is also covered by Oyster or one of the others

Posted by
4684 posts

A weekly Zone 1-2 is OK for most journeys you will need to take. Hampton Court is in Zone 6. You will be able to get a cheaper ticket to Hampton Court if you queue up at the ticket office at Waterloo station where the train leaves, tell the cashier that you have a two-zone Travelcard and ask them for a ticket from the edge of zone two to Hampton Court. These "edge of zone" tickets cannot be bought from ticket machines because they don't want to give you the money off! If your daughter is using pay-as-you-go Oyster she should just touch in and out as normal. Windsor is completely outside the Travelcard/Oyster area but you will still be able to get a cheaper ticket at Paddington from the edge of Zone 2 to Windsor if you queue to talk to a human cashier and show them your Travelcard.