Please sign in to post.

Half day in Copenhagen

My husband and I have a rather long layover in Copenhagen in April. We will fly in at 10 p.m. on a Saturday night and fly out at 3:45 p.m. the next day. I've booked a hotel close to the airport (right off the first train stop). I figure we have the morning to do a little bit of exploring. Right now I'm thinking a canal boat tour and going to Rosenburg Castle (I'm a sucker for elaborate crowns and old palaces.) Should we have enough time to do both, assuming we don't sleep in? I was thinking we should try to be at the train station in central Copenhagen by 1 p.m. to get to the airport - does that give us enough time to check in for our flight? I always try to be there two hours early, but then I heard there's extra security for people flying back to the U.S. (this is the end of our vacation). Also, where's the best place to pick up a canal tour? I just keep seeing that they're everywhere, but no one actually gives any set locations.

Posted by
3696 posts

I also had just one night in Copenhagen on a previous trip, but I opted to stay in the city. If you are by the airport you will have a few trips back and forth for your sightseeing. One thing that did happen when we were there is while we took the train from the airport to the city and our hotel (right by the station and Tivoli Gardens) when it was time to return the next morning there was an issue with the train and the lights not working! They told us to take the bus, which entailed two transfers, and I am not great with directions...plus I was stressed. So, we finally found an available taxi to take us. It just seems like if you stay in the city you will have more time to explore.

Posted by
1068 posts

I'm with Terry Kathryn. Stay in the city - there is plenty to do and see! If you want to try a canal boat tour, try Stromma: http://www.stromma.dk/en/CANALTOURS/ - they've got lots of options, including a tour that includes Tivoli, starting at either Nyhavn or Gammel Strand.

Posted by
57 posts

Yeah, not changing the hotel. Sorry. We're on a budget and the only places we can afford in the city are bunk bed-type places, which I'd rather not do. Besides, from what I can see it's just a 20 minute train ride into the city - considering Rosenburg palace doesn't open until 11 a.m., and the canal tours I'm seeing don't start until 9:30, I don't think this is going to be a big deal - we can easily be up by 8 a.m., giving us more than enough time to head into the city and grab breakfast before we start site seeing. I did check out Stromma, btw - it looks good! An hour-long tour would be perfect. Should give us enough time to get a view of the city and then time to head on over to the castle for a quick visit. Only thing I'm still trying to figure out is when we should leave for the airport. If we don't need to be on a train until 1 p.m. (for a 3:45 p.m. flight), we shouldn't be rushed at the castle. If we need to be at the airport three hours early, however, well, then I'm a little concerned about doing the castle. Any ideas?

Posted by
3 posts

Although Rosenborg Palace is beautiful, your best bet would be to stay in Cph. You will not have time for a canal tour AND Rosenborg Palace. There is so much you can see in a short time in the city - Nyhaven, Amalienborg Palace and Museum, the Mermaid, Round Tower. It's a beautiful city - choose wisely.

Posted by
12172 posts

I think people are confusing Rosenborg Slot with Fredericksborg Slot, which is a much larger palace and a good hour train ride from Copenhagen. I think you have time to do both. I'm not sure what time the palace, or canal ride, run in April - you should check those out online. Since you have an overnight in a hotel near the airport, here's how I'd do it: Start by training back to the airport and stowing or checking your bags, the train is approx. 20 minutes to downtown, so you should be closer than that. Take the Metro to Koenigs Nytorv (max fifteen minute ride), you exit the Metro less than 200 yds from Nyhavn, where the canal tours depart from (the opera house may be between you and the canal until you walk into the Torv). We took the tour about half way down the right side of the canal - it's supposed to be about half the price, but otherwise the same, as the tours that run from the end of the canal closest to the Metro. As I recall the tour was about an hour to 90 minutes long, the guide on the boat will give descriptions in Danish, English and German (we had some Swiss on our boat so she also added French). Rosenborg Slot is less than ten blocks from Koenigs Nytorv. Easy walking distance for me but a short taxi ride if that's too much. Both the (really small but nice) palace and jewels are easy to do in a couple of hours. Try looking at Google Maps to see where and how far things are. Choose your sights in order of convenience, or do the most important one first. When you're done, go back to Koenigs Nytorv Metro and you will be back at the airport in 15 minutes, hopefully with boarding passes in hand and your bags already checked (and/or carry-on stowed conveniently at the airport).

Posted by
12172 posts

Also, consider a 24 hour Copenhagen Card (you can pick it up at the TI in the airport). It will cover your train and metro rides (and bus if you take one) plus I believe it covers Rosenborg (I can't recall if it gives you a discount on the boat tour). When we visited, we ended up using 72 hour cards. A 72 hour card is about the price of two 24 hour cards and worked out, per day, to about the price of a public transportation day pass plus entrance to Tivoli - anything we used above that was a bonus.