Please sign in to post.

Hadrians wall

I'll be going to Hadrians wall this summer. I will not have a car. How are the Roman Army Museum, Housestead and Vindalona? How long would you recommend per site? If you could go to only two, which ones would it be? Is it possible to walk between housestead and Vindalona, route, time?
Thanks!

Posted by
5678 posts

Hi Rebecca, I visited Housestead and Chester and enjoyed both. Didn't see the other two sites. But, have you checked out this website? You should be able to see what the walking possibilities are. I did very short walk along the wall. Ed may post. Or try googling Hadrians wall and the Helpline to find his earlier posts about walking Hadrian's wall. Pam

Posted by
9110 posts

I've never heard of Vindalona, so not much help. I've walked the whole thing more than once - - there were places where I was holding a four per pace and places I was huffing to do two miles in an hour. There's a gradient chart on the National Trail website that might help. An hour is enough to wander the Housesteads fort. I've no knowledge of the other two.

Posted by
6504 posts

You may have seen the website describing the bus that runs along Hadrian's Wall: http://www.visithadrianswall.co.uk/hadrians-wall-country/getting-around/hadrians-wall-country-bus. We used it to visit Housesteads and Vindolanda, both of which we liked a lot. I haven't been to the Roman Army Museum, so this isn't much help to you in choosing two of the three. But consider that there is a museum at Vindolanda also, with some fascinating exhibits from the archeological site there. It was not a fort but a town some distance behind the wall, full of Roman civilians as well as soldiers. You won't see the wall from there but you'll see town ruins and the museum. I'd give it at least an hour, preferably two (there's a little cafe), and Housesteads about an hour unless you want to add some wall-side walking which would be easy to do.