Please sign in to post.

Hadrian's Wall?

My wife and I will be traveling by train from York to Edinburgh, Scotland in August. I was wondering if it's worth it to get off the train for awhile and see Hadrian's Wall? Is it close to a train station or do we need to drive? As always I appreciate your thoughts.

Posted by
5678 posts

Take a look at this site. http://www.hadrians-wall.org/ I think that some of the wall is in Newcastle, but I'm not sure it would be worth getting off to see this part. I really liked my visit to the wall, but I spent a day exploring it and you could easily spend more time.

Pam

Posted by
118 posts

My wife and I stayed in Edinburgh for a week a couple years ago and one day we took a train at about 9:00 to Carlisle on the western end of the wall. We spent some time walking around that beautiful town and then caught a bus to Hadrian's wall, spending several hours walking the wall and picnicing. We caught the bus from the wall to a town called Haltwhistle, viewed the wall near there and then in the late afternoon boarded the train to Newcastle where we had dinner and then the train back to Edinburgh. We were back to our B&B by about 7 or 8 that night and look back on it as a very pleasant day. Have a great time. If you do this trip wait for a nice day as lots of it is outside.

Posted by
345 posts

I'd agree that it would be a nice day trip from Edinburgh, but not sure about it as a stop going north. I spent a few days in Carlisle, and did some walking along the best parts, and did a visit to Vindolanda. That chunk is well worth a visit, I've heard mixed things about others.

There's just not much to see on the part between York and Edinburgh.

Posted by
5678 posts

My trip too, was at the western end of the wall. Carlisle itself was interesting. If you are interested in the borders there is a very interesting book by Fraser, The Steel Bonnets that looks at the history of the border country. Really fascinating stuff. Pam

Posted by
9110 posts

I've hiked the length of Hadrian's Wall (both ways); it's interesting, but probably not what you think it is. Little of it actually remains. I have no idea where the train stop would be, but most of the photos are of what little bit remains semi-intact. Most parts of the wall have been torn down to use the stones for barns, houses, fences and stuff. There's a couple areas with the foundations of the roman camps still visible, but still not oeverly impressive.

Were I you, I's skip it this time and save it for a trip when you are trying to fill in the blanks of minor stuff you've missed.

Posted by
82 posts

Great advice guys! I don't think we're going to have enough time to do the day trip from Edinburgh but maybe next time we could take some more time and walk along the wall.
Tod

Posted by
12172 posts

I saw a small part of the wall in a suburban neighborhood. I would like to go back in the future and see better examples.

Posted by
59 posts

Is it possible to do a driving day trip from Edinburgh to Hadrian's Wall/New Castle? This sounds interesting.

Thanks
Bev

Posted by
495 posts

Edinburgh to Newcastle is about a 3 hour drive (maybe a bit less if the traffic gods are willing.)

P.S. if you're looking for online directions make sure you're looking at Newcastle Upon Tyne not any of the others.

P.P.S. In my travels around the US I've noticed that Newcastle Brown Ale (along with Bass, oddly enough) appear to be where it's at with regard to imported British beers. Every single place I saw it offered would misspell it as New Castle on at least one sign. It struck me as an interesting cultural/linguistic oddity.

Posted by
1819 posts

I have researched this topic a bit, since we will be there in June. Consensus is that the best bit is around Haltwhistle, Mile Castle 39. There's a bus that runs at regular intervals along the B road that parallels the road. You can ride one way, walk a bit back if you like.

Posted by
345 posts

Yep, def. the best bit. My pictures along that stretch are absolutely lovely. Sycamore Gap, Milecastle 39, sheep galore, Vindolanda, stunning pictures and great memories. I took the bus out and back, and enjoyed a tour guide on the return trip who gave tons of info. It was one of my favourite parts of my trip.