Please sign in to post.

Hadrian's wall

I'll be spending a couple of days in Durham because I want to see the cathedral, but thought I would also try to see Hadrian's wall. I will be using public transportation and read that I can take the train to Newcastle and get the 'country bus' to Hadrian's wall. I looked into the possibility of a tour out of Newcastle but the cost was over 100 pounds. Has anyone had experience with this bus and how to see parts of the wall using it? Thanks

Posted by
635 posts

Get either Rick's Great Britain or England book. There are details on doing this by bus from Newcastle. You could also look at renting a car in either Newcastle or Durham.

Posted by
1851 posts

We researched Hadrian's Wall quite a bit before our 2010 visit. Consensus seemed to be that the most interesting part to visit was the section near the Once Brewed visitor's centre which includes Sycamore Gap (Check out the "boy in the tree" scene from Robin Hood:Prince of Thieves to see what the area looks like.) That area, which is about three miles west of Housesteads, is rural and very atmospheric. There's a pub with rooms at Twice Brewed, right across from the Sycamore Gap area. There was also a dig at Vindolanda, a couple of miles south of Once Brewed,........We had a car, so I can't help with public transportation. If you don't want to rent a car, consider visiting in the summer when the wall bus is running.......You need good walking shoes if you want to walk on the wall. The terrain is uneven and has lots of climbs.

Posted by
345 posts

I did things from the opposite end - caught the Hadrian's Wall bus from Carlisle, took it to Housesteads, then walked along the wall to Twice Brewed, and walked down to Vindolanda. I found the bus service very convenient, and sometimes there are guides on board. If you can get to Newcastle, it's easy going from there as well, as the buses keep going back and forth along the wall.

Posted by
124 posts

Getting to Newcastle is easy-just a short train ride from Durham and I understand that the bus stops at the station. I'm not going to spend a lot of time there, perhaps a half day, so I should try to find a map and information on what is close to Newcastle. I'll try Rick's book also- thanks!

Posted by
629 posts

We stayed at the Twice Brewed Inn. Nice rooms and pub. Most of the people staying there were walking the wall/trail. We had a car and enjoyed about a 6 mile hike and then a visit to Vindolanda (incredible site & museum). If you're only have time to spend a small part of the day and don't have a car - why bother? We enjoyed Durham Cathedral and arrived there on Student's day with everyone dressed in their finest!

Posted by
124 posts

Actually, after reading Rick Steve and the 'Hadrian's Wall Bus' website, the bus seems ideal. It picks up passengers at Newcastle and Carlisle and travels along the wall dropping them off at the various places of interest. The bus also stops at the train stations in Hexham or Haltwhiste. There are 6 buses a day in either direction, with some narration from the driver. The price is right and is very convenient. As I'll be coming from Durham, I can combine the bus with the train and spend as much time as I want.