Please sign in to post.

Guernsey

I will be in London in Sept, and was wondering about visiting (and getting to and around) Guernsey.

Any ideas? What to see, how to get there? Thanks!

I could get a car if needed, but wasn't sure if it would be required. I plan to stay overnight. Fly or Ferry? I might be going to Plymouth, but i notice the ferries from there are very slow; I prefer to not spend a whole day traveling there....

Posted by
9110 posts

There are buses on the island.

I've only been there from France; it's probably a bear from England -- probably Portsmouth or Weymouth are your best bet.

Directferries.co.uk will have all the scoop.

Posted by
964 posts

Laurel, you can get to Guernsey by ferry from Poole on the south coast (look for Bournemouth on the map). Poole is easily reached from London by either train, or cheaper, by National Express bus service. It's about a 2 and a half hour journey.

Or you can fly there from Bournemouth airport with Palmair.

The ferry is nicer!

Posted by
2800 posts

You can also get a ferry from Weymouth, from either Poole or Weymouth it would be around £90.00 for a return ticket.

Posted by
354 posts

You can fly to Guernsey from London Gatwick to Guernsey on Air Aurigny or Flybe. It's quite easy to get around the island by public bus, which takes you to or near the main sights. St Peter Port is the main town. There are good walks along the cliffs, spectacular views, birdwatching, and a few historic sites/ museums such as Castle Cornet in St Peter Port. Lihou Island is a small uninhabited island which can be only reached via a tidal causeway which is often covered by the sea ... check the tide timetable and warning signs carefully before venturing there! www.visitguernsey.com has more information, as does the discussion board over at Tripadvisor.