Please sign in to post.

Great British Heritage Pass

Anyone have any opinions about this card? We will only be visiting about 10 sites on the list so is it worth it or should we just wait and get tickets whenever we go to a site?
It has a line cutting or butting is included. We were thinking of the 15 day pass for 78.50 pounds. Is it a deal or should we pass? Thanks for the help!!

Posted by
655 posts

We liked it because it enabled us to pop into many places to see if they appealed to us which we probably would not have done if we had to pay the entrance fee at each. I suggest that if the sites you are sure of will mostly cover the cost of the pass go ahead and buy it. We were able to purchase it online so it was one less concern during the trip and it is nice to just bypass the 'queue'. At the time of our trip (a few years ago) it came with a handy map/description of the sites and the hours they were open.

Posted by
33392 posts

If most of the properties are National Trust, the Royal Oak Foundation in NYC can sell you an annual membership to all National Trust properties for Individual:$55, Dual:$80, Family: $90, and its 100% tax-deductible.

English Heritage also do packages.

If you travel by train in or around London there are loads of 2 for 1 deals available. Note, there is no benefit for singles, it really is 2 for 1, not half price.

I can't speak about the GB Heritage Pass, though.

Posted by
2045 posts

We liked it too, and for he same reasons George mentioned. The map/days/hours Let's Explore booklet was great for planning, and we too went several places we'd not have known about but were pretty much on our route. And, we got 2 for 1 last May when we bought online,or 8 days for the cost of 4, per person. Any such offers now?

Posted by
6898 posts

Agreeing with Nigel, my wife and I joined the National Trust for about 79.50 pounds for both of us. Since we were visiting major gardens and historic sites all over England, it did save us money overall. And, it was a joy to be part of the Trust. It also covers the parking costs when that occurs at the site.

As I recall, the National Trust membership did not include the major castles, cathedrals, the Churchill museum and some other sites.

As a side note, we listed the admission cost of everything we visited in England. It was really quite a list. For both of us, it was about 420pounds.

Posted by
1829 posts

The GBHP coverage includes National Trust, English Heritage (and similar in Scotland) and other privately run properties eg Blenheim Palace. Therefore, if you are visiting places outside London, it is very good value and cheaper than buying separate memberships and individual entry tickets.

It is only available to overseas visitors.

Posted by
18 posts

Through today, 7/12, there's a 10% discount on the pass which more than pays for postage.

Posted by
993 posts

Nigel pretty much summed it up. How many people are covered under that price of £78.50? You can go onto their web sites and find a list of their properties.