Please sign in to post.

Great British Heritage Pass

Does anyone know what happened to the Great British Heritage Pass for properties throughout Great Britain? The website says it is no longer available.

Posted by
571 posts

Wow. That comes as a complete surprise to me, but I see the same thing you do when I search online for the GBHP. That's a shame, as I really got a lot out of mine in 2009. What seems even stranger is that I can't find a single mention online as to why it's gone. You'd think somewhere someone would have posted a story online, but I can't find one.

Posted by
42 posts

Thanks for the replies. I will check out the English Heritage again. When I looked at this some time ago, it didn't have as many properties as the GBHP. Scotland has the Explorer Pass, but it doesn't include most of the major sites that we would like to see. I know that often the individual family admission prices are a better deal, but we are marathon siteseers and were checking on the best deal. The London pass still seems to be available. It worked well for us a couple of years ago, as they had a sale with 20% off when we purchased early. Won't do the London Pass this year as we will be seeing other sites not included. I would appreciate hearing if anyone knows of other discount deals!

Posted by
332 posts

http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/ offers 2 for 1 admissions to a number of attractions with a rail ticket. Many discounts in London, also in Brighton, Bournemouth, Isle of Wight and many other places.

Posted by
42 posts

Thanks for the information. We are planning to rent a car once out of London, but might need a train ticket to get to Watford for Harry Potter sound stage etc. Can you get all these two for one offers with a short distance train ticket. I am not sure at all how this works.

Posted by
33587 posts

Is it a rail ticket? Issued to the destination? Valid on the day? Issued by a Network Rail outlet - not London Underground? Its valid for the 2 for 1.

Posted by
42 posts

I am not really sure. I think you go on the overground line to Watford Junction. Does that count as rail? Is the two for one only good on the day you travel by train.? I think I need to do a lot more research on this one.

Posted by
1499 posts

Cindy: You can join the National Trust UK on line. They have many if not most of the Manor Houses that were on the GBHP. They also have B & Bs, self-catering, etc. Their site will also tell you about seasonal events. Right now Father Christmas can be visited in several "grottos" thruout the country. The Trust also runs several shops and tearooms at the various sites.
English Heritage will cover most of the archealogical sites such as castles.

Posted by
33587 posts

Cindy Is it around Watford Junction, or some other part of Watford? I'm in and out of Watford Junction every day and haven't heard of this sound stage. Is there a website so I could help further? Yes, the Overground goes from Euston to Watford Junction. Its a slow journey stopping many many times. It is a real train, but has only inward facing seats, like a Tube train. Watford Junction is also served by London Midland, a big rail company, on its runs to the Midlands, in one, two or three stops from Euston. If you can provide me the webpage or exact location I can find the exact stop for you.

Posted by
635 posts

You had to really visit a lot of sights to make this pass pay for itself. To make it work for me I had to visit some of the high priced attractions - Warwick Castle and Blenheim Palace. It also didn't do as much for skirting the lines like the Ireland's OPW Pass, London Pass and Paris Pass. Of all the passes, this one was probably the best one to lose if one had to go. I don't have a clue as to why it folded. It may not have been that popular or many sites may have just decided to drop it. The other GB organizations are much harder to justify for the typical tourist. As for all passes, it's essential to run the numbers.

Posted by
33587 posts

OK, I've looked at the how to get there part of the website. It seems that they offer a shuttle bus from Watford Junction Station and that you need to be on the bus 45 minutes before tour time. I've never seen the bus, but I don't go outside the station. Frequent fast service on London Midland is what I suggest. The station i outside the normal 6 zones of London Transport (in zone 9, I believe) so the best way is a train ticket from Euston or Harrow and Wealdstone (fewer trains from Harrow). Bon chance.