Please sign in to post.

Golf in Scotland

Any advise on making arrangments for golf in Scottland. We are taking the Best of Scotland and Best of Ireland tours back to back. My Husband wants to golf.
Suggestion on best golf weather, where to golf and how to get on the courses. Thanks

Posted by
12172 posts

A friend golfed at the old course at St. Andrews. He walked on without reservations and they put him with three locals - no problem at all. If it were me, I'd rent clubs there. There's no reason to pack a set of clubs for a vacation that isn't dedicated to golf. I think they use a smaller ball that goes farther too, so bringing your own golf balls would be a disadvantage (unless you want to trade them as souvenirs). I've heard they are picky about wanting proof of your handicap, but my friend said they didn't even ask.

Posted by
2782 posts

First and important your husband will need to get a card from his golf course that states what his handicap is if he doesn't have it they won't let him play, other courses in the UK require this also. If he wants to golf in St. Andrews he will need to go to the starter box first thing in the morning and sign in, they will put him with another group. My husband has played there a couple of times. As for courses in other areas in Scotland and Irland, have him look in the areas where you will be, have him email them and ask them if they require reservations or not. It would be best if he rented clubs over there. Will he have time to play while of tour?