Please sign in to post.

Glin Castle Closed for the 2009 season.

I received the following message from Glin Castle (http://www.glincastle.com/).

Very Sad- they were just rated #1 Castle Stay in Europe by TripAdvisor in 2008.

"Thank you for your letter and inquiry into accommodation at Glin Castle. I am afraid that the castle will not be opening for the 2009 season. We are a casualty of the recession and though we intend to continue to a lesser degree with exclusive use full castle rentals and larger groups on a cultural tour the overnight accommodation and dining room will not be operating as in the past.

I am sorry we cannot assist at this time but we are happy to recommend the Mustard Seed at Echo Lodge, an extremely nice manor house with an excellent restaurant. www.mustardseed.ie or Adare Manor www.adaremanor.com These two properties are 20 miles to the east of Glin. Ashford is 3 to 4 hours to the north. I am not sure if it is a castle stay you are looking for or if we are part of an itinerary. I am very sorry we cannot assist further especially after your kind comments."

Posted by
437 posts

I've heard from other friends who are making travel arrangements to the UK this coming year that this might be a common message from many other hotels/BB, unfortunately. The economic downturn has hit many types of businesses in many countries.

Posted by
881 posts

That's really sad. I hope most of them can make some changes that help them out.