Please sign in to post.

Glasgow to the Inner and Outer Hebrides

In July I will be traveling from Glasgow to the Inner & Outer Hebrides: Iona, Mull, Skye & Lewis. What is best--to rent a car and use the ferries or a Herbridean Island Cruise. I am an art historian and have traveled all over Europe on my own, but I wonder it if wise to do so on these Islands.

Posted by
5669 posts

I think you will need a car if you want get out to the countryside. There is some bus service, but it's not frequent, or at least that's been my impression. Unless it's a matter of money, I would rent a car. You may need to book the ferries. BTW when you are on Lewis, try to get down to Harris at the other end of the island. It's beautiful.


Posted by
10344 posts

You can see Iona, Mull and Skye with a rental car and using ferries where necessary (e.g., to Iona and Mull). I am not certain about getting to Lewis but believe (I have not done it) you can get to Lewis by ferries leaving from Uig (northern Skye) or Ullapool (way up by Loch Broom). I don't know anything about the Hebridean Island Cruise you mentioned.