Please sign in to post.

Gatwick to Heathrow

I will be arriving at Gatwick from Florence at 9 a.m. and departing Heathrow at 3 p.m. Is the National Express bus the best way to change airports? How much time should I allow to clear Customs at Gatwick?

Posted by
23282 posts

It is immigrations. Mostly a walk through - 10 minutes. The bus run is about an hour depending on traffic and is the only realistic option.

Posted by
76 posts

Oops! Immigrations, I meant to say...thanks so much!

Posted by
175 posts

Hello Jane, On the first of August I was returning from the Island of Jersey and it took just under an hour to clear immigrations. It was about one p.m. Later I took the Natiional Express (24 Pounds) to Heathrow which took a little over an hour. Drivers really don't like you to purchase tickets from them but you can if you have the correct Pounds. They won't take a credit card. Good Luck

Posted by
76 posts

Thank you, Liam. I was concerned about pre-purchasing a ticket and then missing the transfer because I might be longer than anticipated in Immigrations. Where does the National Express bus pick up passengers?

Posted by
8293 posts

The National Express picks up at both the North and South terminals at Gatwick. I just did this last week and can tell you that at the South terminal it is a very long walk to the pick-up point! You will see lots of Nat. Exp. employees, easily identified, as you soldier on, to guide you on your way, if you are in the South terminal, because there is a lot of construction taking place. When you buy and print your ticket on line you need to know which terminal your plane lands at.

Posted by
57 posts

Frank is right. We used this service to get from LHR to Gatwick a couple of years ago, and it was efficient, easy, and quite a comfortable bus.

Posted by
76 posts

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your advice