Please sign in to post.

Gatwick by 0600 hours

Hi all, I need to get to Gatwick by 6:00am on a Tuesday morning from Old street Tube station. What is the cheapest way to get there at that time without a taxi? So far I found a couple of options... - Easybus
- Gatwick Express The problem is: Easy bus depart from Earl's Court at 4:45am, and the tube does not run at that time for me to get from Old street to Earl's Court. Gatwick Express departs at 5:00am From Victoria... and again the tube does not run that early for me to get to Victoria from Old Street. I found a couple bus options to get to both starting point involving at least 3 transfers. Are the buses reliable in London? Is the bus stop safe enough to be sitting at waiting in Central London at 3:30 in the morning? Any other suggestions?

Posted by
964 posts

Sorry I don't know the answer, but can I suggest you post this on the Transportation thread (unless you already have of course!).
I think you'll get more answers there.

Posted by
375 posts

This may not be what you are looking for, but I'll suggest this: many hotels can make arrangements for a taxi to the airport for a pre-set fee that would be cheaper than if you just hailed a cab on your own. You may want to explore this with your hotel. A second suggestion might be to stay your last night at a hotel near the airport.

Posted by
33592 posts

Gatwick Express would be my choice and I don't see a reasonable nightbus from Old Street to Victoria. I'd take a cab from hotel to Victoria then Gatwick Express. My actual choice if I had to be at Gatwick at 0600 would be to stay at Gatwick. There are sometimes decent advance rates at the Sofitel there. The Sofitel is linked by an above ground tunnel right into the terminal. 2 minutes to walk.

Posted by
33592 posts

James, I thought that was all set!! Your wifey will not be happy...

Posted by
3580 posts

I would stay at a hotel or guest house near Gatwick. Last month I stayed at Castle Guest House, Gatwick. The guest house is a short walk to the center of the town (Horley?) and provides shuttle service to/from the airport 24/7. There are lots of places to stay at Gatwick.

Posted by
3941 posts

We stayed at the Sofitel right at the airport when we had a late flight to Gatwick fr Venice...but it was the most expensive place we stayed...ever...a little out of my comfort zone for price but it was for the convenience...I think it was $180 (canadian dollars)...it was a nice hotel tho...

Posted by
4 posts

Well the Gatwick Express is splendidly easy, so I think I'd plump for a taxi to Victoria and thence the train. I suppose it all depends on cost. At that time in the morning choices are rather limited I'm afraid!