Please sign in to post.

Food in Scotland

Tell me your favorite places to eat in Scotland, any and all price ranges! We have a budget for other things on the trip but I'm thinking we aren't going to have a budget for meals. We love to eat. Breakfast will be covered at the B&Bs but lunch and dinner we wan't to eat out every night. So bring on the suggestions! (Edinburgh, Glasgow, Inveraray to Mallaig, Isle of Skye, Skye to Inverness, Pitlochry, Stirling - in and around all those places)

Posted by
887 posts

The Loch Fyne Oyster bar on Loch Fyne just a short distance from Inverary. Its been some years since I was there, but went frequently when my parents lived in the area. A lovely setting overlooking the Loch. They grow their own oysters and mussels in the Loch and smoke their own salmon. A good place to pick up some items for a picnic or a snack and souvenirs. Web site http://www.lochfyne.com

I seem to remember a good whisky shop in Inverary itself

Posted by
5678 posts

In Edinburgh I have had several great meals. I just found out that one of my favorites closed. :( But there are lots of places. I've had good meals down in the Grass Market below the Castle. You might check out the Elephant House. Also look for ethnic food in Edinburgh. Ask what's new. We had a great meal of Scottish food at Stac Polly. Fishers in the city and The Shore in Leith were both excellent. Also, check out the Mussel Inn on Rose Street. It looks like they have one in Glasgow too!

In Inverness I I really like the The Mustard Seed and Rocpool is good as well. For a casual lunch think about getting some soup at Leakey's Bookstore and Cafe. For more casual food and music go to The Hootenanny.

No restaurant recs for Pitlochry, but do check out the Explorer's Garden. And find out what is playing at the Festival Theatre. And go for a walk along the Tay and check out the Atholl Distillery.

Pam

Posted by
20074 posts

Besides seconding Loch Fyne (Deja Vu?), try Rogano on Exchange Place (off of Buchanan St) in Glasgow. Well known, formal upstairs, informal downstairs. Despite the name, it's not really an Italian restaurant, although there lots of them in Glasgow. Did you ever hear Dario Franchitti's accent? Glasgow's Italian heritage is as prominent as New York's if not quite as pervasive.

Posted by
837 posts

In Edinburgh, the Olive Tree. Had two memorable meals there. Prices reasonable.

Posted by
2023 posts

You should consider The Three Chimneys on Skye. We had an excellent meal there a few years ago-reserved well ahead. It was not outrageously expensive-there are options on a three course meal or five courses. At the time we were there the restaurant was building a new kitchen on the back. Google it and take a look-it is appropriately named for sure-a quaint (but not small) white washed cottage with three chimneys.

Posted by
149 posts

On Skye, my wife and I spent a night at the Coruisk House in Elgol. Iain and Clare prepared a wonderful dinner with freshly baked bread, local mussels and other seafood, and great beer, all done at an enjoyable pace with great ambience. It's a bit out of the way, but you should see Loch Coruisk anyway. Spend the night in one of their two rooms, and let Iain make your breakfast to order.

Posted by
67 posts

In Edinburgh, I loved First Coast - great service, cozy, simple. Seafood mostly, I think. Despite not being a seafood fan, I ordered a meal of sides and really enjoyed it. It's located on. Dalry Rd. Near a Train station. That was Summer 2012. Looks like the menu now is broader than I remember but good reviews on trip advisor, too.

Posted by
26 posts

We had a lovely dinner at Victoria's in Pitlochry. It is walking distance to the salmon ladder, easy to stroll downtown, very close to Heathergems (in case you want to see/shop an interesting craft) and has indoor and outdoor eating areas...in case it is warm and sunny! I think they also plan meals around curtain time at the theatre.