Please sign in to post.

Fjords

I am traveling to Scandinavia in July, and right now my main objective is the fjords. Some of my questions: 1. Flying into Oslo, RyanAir takes me to Rygge Airport. Anyone know about this airport, how to get into Oslo, etc.? 2. If I am going to end up at Bergen, should I fly into somewhere else? 3. I have four full days to travel. Am I restricting myself going to Oslo? Would it be better to go to Copenhagen and skip the fjords? In other words, am I a fool to go to Scandinavia just to see the scenery? May 6 : I have bought tickets, so I am committed. Thank you for your advice! Does anyone have experience with Rygge Airport and how to and from Oslo city center from there?

Posted by
1986 posts

The fjords are spectacular. Unfortunately your time is too short. The relaxed way to experience the fjords is train from Oslo to Bergen, slow mail boat all the way up to the top. You will never want to leave. You need to decide whther with your short time you can do the train as well as a healthy dose of fjords. maybe wait until you can give them more time

Posted by
1022 posts

My experience was over ten years ago, but for what it's worth...flew into Oslo and connected with a flight to Bergen, then embarked that evening on one of the Hurtigruten ships that ply the Norwegian coast up to the Arctic. In mid-June it doesn't get dark that far North, so I stayed up as long as possible watching the scenery slide by, then retired to a comfortable cabin.
The ship docked for awhile the next morning where passengers were able to get off and have a walk. I disembarked at Alesund to attend a business conference, but while there took a boat tour up Geiranger Fjord which is stunningly beautiful. At the end of the conference, I got a direct flight from Alesund to Oslo. The scenery is well worth the trip. I recommend a Hurtigruten cruise that goes into the fjords for a trip you won't forget.

Posted by
1851 posts

The Norwegian fjords are some of the most beautiful scenery in the world-you wouldn't be a fool to go just for the scenery! A week would be ideal, but I think you could see them in four days if you can't spare any more time. We spent a week there, but here's how it could be condensed to four days:.......Day one, fly to Bergen, drive to Voss........Day two, drive to Flam, take the train RT, drive to Vik, see the stave church, cross the Sognefjord by the frequent ferries, overnight at Kivikne's Hotel in Balestrand (stay in the charming old part of the hotel, the new wing looks like a college dorm)........Day three, take the road slightly east of Balestrand which goes north over the glacier to Geiranger.......Day four, take the early morning ferry along the fjord past all of the waterfalls, drive back to Bergen, spend the late afternoon enjoying the Bryggen and the cog RR up the mountain.