Please sign in to post.

fish and chips in london

Hi, Could someone please recommend some fish and chips places in london? Thanks, Karen

Posted by
687 posts

Rock and Sole Plaice on Endell St. - near Covent Garden. I once worked (briefly!) in a fish and chip shop, and this place is pretty authentic.

Posted by
74 posts

Sea Fresh Restaurant on Wilton Rd, a ways behind Victoria Station. They have a cheaper carry out section and a very nice sit down restaurant not too pricey.

Posted by
1986 posts

Dont overlook (Cornish) pasties- thats a real treat.

Posted by
61 posts

Can't remember the name of it, but there was a good one on Bayswater Rd near the Lancaster Gate tube stop.

Posted by
970 posts

Contrary to tradition, London is not at all packed with fish and chip shops. But, you can find the stuff at pubs, cafes, etc.

Posted by
64 posts

I second the Seafresh suggestion, I was there for the first time last month. Very clean, friendly service, excellent rendition of fish and chips with generous portions. On a trip to London last year I had fish and chips at Golden Union http://www.goldenunion.co.uk/
Also excellent...

Posted by
993 posts

My grand-daughter still talks about the fish & chips we had at, of all places, The Tower of London last month. She is right. It was pretty darn good. Here is a chance to kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. The Tower and the fish & chips.

Posted by
359 posts

This won't answer K's question, but while Seafresh on Wilton Rd. used to be my favourite, the last visit in April turned me off. I've been to this place probably 8-10 times in the past 4-5 years and was always happy to partake of the fish and chips or, if not too hungry and on my own, their wonderful fish soup with crusty bread on the side and a beer. The soup is still wonderful, but instead of decent bread, I was presented with what we all can pick up at our supermarket for making sandwiches. It came out of a cello bag, I'm sure, was tasteless and, I'd guess, was accompanied by something that only resembled butter. What really surprised me was that the other diners in the room eating much more expensive meals than I, were also being served the sandwich bread on the side instead of Seafresh's old standy, "crusty/tasty" bread. To me this is cutting dollars to save pennies. My annoyance was even more emphasized when I left the restaurant and saw one of the owners/wait staff outside by the sidewalk having a puff while dusting his new, 2-seater Mercedes sportscar parked at the curb. I won't be back! Try the pub, kitty-corner across the street though, with picnic tables along the sidestreet. Beer's cold, service great and it appears they may serve pub-grub which I'll try next time I'm across the Pond. It was from one of the picnic tables having a pre-dinner pint that I noticed the Seafresh guy drive up and park his fancy car.

Posted by
349 posts

Many pubs do a good fish and chips so I wouldnt discount them because thyey have other things

Posted by
33 posts

We took Rick Steves' recommendation and went to the Jagged Hare near Victoria Station. It's part of the Fuller Brewery group of pubs. Enjoyed the fish and chips as well as the steak and ale pot pie. Nice ambiance and interior.