Please sign in to post.

Fish and Chips in London

We are Staying in London for 3 nights in November and want to try some local Fare.... So, I was wondering.. Who has the best fish n chips? Thanks as always, RC

Posted by
10344 posts

When you get answers (and you will, this site has way more helpers than questions), remember that this is like asking: who has the best burgers in LA. Take the answers with the proverbial grain of salt.

Posted by
5226 posts

Have you any idea how many fish and chip shops are in London? It's a huge place and there is not a person in the world who will have tried them all. Go for the one that looks busiest, that's usually the best sign.

Posted by
32431 posts

who has the best burgers in LA In'n'Out. Hands down. Especially one particular one in South Pasadena. And another in Orange county. Many of the the very best chippies are take away only. If you start paying for silverware and service, to say nothing of square table hire, the price goes from affordable cheap food to a restaurant experience. Good luck. It is, as Kent says, highly local.

Posted by
67 posts

Did not realize there were that many... It will be our first time in London, staying at the Royal Horseguards and was just looking for a starting point. Oh Well. Thanks for the input. Best Burger? Iron Chef Michael Symons, Lola Burger in C town!

Posted by
9096 posts

Here's a good starting point: http://tinyurl.com/3kflrod Edit: Forgot to mention, for several years until July of this year, a restaurant here in New Paltz held the world's record for the largest portion of fish n chips. A pub somewhere in UK took the record back....hopefully not for long:)

Posted by
32431 posts

Good one, Michael S. Time Out have the best of the best, and the rest, and these will all be good restaurants, even if "the rest". Still plump for the neighborhood chippy for me. Rock and Sole Plaice near 7 Dials would do it for me for a field trip from Horse Guards Parade to Covent Garden. It is very plain; tasty fish. Changed hands a couple of years ago, from one Cypriot family to another. Don't go expecting the Ritz. EDIT: the punctuation between plain and tasty. What I meant to say was the place is relatively plain, the fish is tasty. I still say neighborhood take aways are better, but this will do.

Posted by
1068 posts

Or check Yelp.com - now with UK listings! Local reviewers will have the most up-to-date and reliable input, of course. North Sea Fish Restaurant (7-8 Leigh Street, near the Foundling Museum) seems to get high marks.

Posted by
32167 posts

Reid, I'd suggest asking the staff at your Hotel for good restaurant recommendations in the vicinity. I've found the locals usually know the best places. While there you might consider trying your Fish & Chips with mushy Peas, a great local delicacy. That and a pint of Guinness makes a fine meal (at least IMHO)! I tried that in Edinburgh when I was there at the end of August and quite enjoyed it. On that occasion I chose the Pub somewhat on a whim. I happened to be walking past while heading for the Laundromat. The Pub (which wasn't anywhere near the Royal Mile) seemed to be filled with "locals" having a good time, so I decided to give it a try. The food was great! Happy travels!

Posted by
12170 posts

I agree with asking a local. My only caveat is "good" fish and chips to a local means "swimming in grease" to me. I like the quality of the fish (can't recall the type of fish I liked best) but prefer to dry some of the grease off before eating.

Posted by
32431 posts

So, Reid, now your part is to tell us when you get back which you picked and how you liked it (them). OK?

Posted by
67 posts

I sure will Nigel! You have been very helpful with Quandries I have had with this honeymoon, so you can bet I will let everyone know how our trip goes. Thanks again. Reid

Posted by
3707 posts

"Seashells", Lisson Grove; order the cod. Also, ask your cab driver this question; he will point you in the right direction. London cabbies are a good source of information about restaurants, pubs, and attractions.

Posted by
61 posts

There's a good pub on Bayswater Road across from Kensington. For what it's worth, a guide on one of the tours I took said it was the best. Darn it I can't remember the name though. I'll have to go find it next time I go back.
Sorry, I personally didn't get what the big deal about In N Out Burger is. See, this question is so subjective! :-)

Posted by
67 posts

I do agree about the in and out burger joints.... Was in San fran on our way to Napa for a few weeks last year. My financee and I were down at the harbor and she was like... Hey lets go hit the in and out burger... She had heard that they were all that and a bag of chips... My take on it was...... Meh.... Oyveh... Thanks for the london info all. The wedding and honeymoon are close and in addition to being the luckiest guy around, I am pretty excited for the honeymoon.... RC

Posted by
719 posts

I'm a fan of Ole' Cheshire Cheese. Great Beer (Sam Smith's), great atmosphere (that place is like 300 years old or something), and great F&C.
I agree with Nigel. In n' Out is the bomb. Unfortunately, they haven't made it to Colorado. Yet.

Posted by
111 posts

Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese rebuilt in 1667...ate there, it wasn't too bad. Sam Smiths beer.. Charles Dickens was supposed to be a regular. A couple of things I remember was a sign that said gentlemen only above one of the bars and the ceiling in the men's restroom was like right over my head! and I'm a giant 5'9"...and kinda cramped quarters. I had some fish n chips with mushy peas

Posted by
1806 posts

Nigel lost his chippy street cred with me as soon as he named In 'n Out the best burger in L.A. As for drinking Guiness in London... Skip that advice, too. You'll be in Ireland for the honeymoon, Reid, so drink it there and find any number of great local brews on tap when you visit England. Mushy peas... I don't get the fascination. Makes me feel like I'm getting a preview of what I will be eating someday when I am 85 and living at the nursing home. Now Spotted Dick... What American doesn't want to order that just so they can say "I'd like a Spotted Dick and make it a big one, please!"

Posted by
67 posts

HaHa.... I thought the same thing when I heard mushy peas.... Funny. My fiancee loves her beer, so yeah the guiness will be pulled and tried in IRL... How about local beers in London? Any suggestions. Miller lite? Bud? haha.. Wedding is getting close and my research has now been so refined that I am asking about types of beer????/ HaHA... thanks for all the input. I cannot wait to come back and offer advice.... RC

Posted by
5226 posts

Mushy peas are made from a specific type of pea, marrowfat. These are large and starchy and taste completely different from petit pois or garden peas. As such they need a longer cook and this breaks them down . Really tasty and I love them. As for beer in london. I agree, skip the Guinness. There are some decent English stouts which are lighter and sweeter than Guinness and London Porter is similar. It all depends on the pub as to what is served. A beer that will probably be served in a lot of places will be London Pride which is quite nice or Old Speckled Hen. A lot of the non chain pubs will probably have local and guest ales available and should be worth ordering. If you like lager then stick to the decent continental ones like the original Czech Budweiser Budvar or Staropramen plus there's always cider!