Please sign in to post.

First trip to Ireland

We are arriving late on 6 July in Dublin and spending 2 nights there.I need a workable itinerary that is not going to kill us.Would appreciate any suggestions.This is what we have so far. Day 1 and 2 in Dublin
On the 8 th drive from Dublin to Doolin,see the cliffs and a bit of the Burren then head to killarney where our accomodation is booked.Is this doable or can you suggest an alternative route to killarney with some interesting sites. We are using killarney as base for 3 nights (8,9,10 July)on the 9 th we will be in killarney area.What to do there? The 10 th we want to see the dingle peninsula Where to go to see the best sights or do we just drive around? On the 11 th we overnight in Kilkenny for our last night at Butler house.Thought to stop at the rock of Cashal on the way there. We fly home on the 12 th at 6 pm from Dublin so we will head there from Kilkenny.Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Posted by
81 posts

Just my opinion but I think you're day on July 8 is a bit ambitious. From Dublin to Cliffs is easily a 3 hour drive. If you spend time in the new visitor center and walk from one end to the other end of the Cliffs, you will be there 2 hours easily. Then to go to the Burren is about a 30 minute drive. Here again it depends on how much time you spend here. Then the drive to Killarney is ~ 4 hours. All this driving doesn't include any time for those unplanned photo ops. I might also suggest that you go to Dingle before going to Killarney. I try not to double back too much in my driving. The Dingle Peninsula is worthy of 2 days. The Slea Head drive, which Rick documents well in his guidebook, is easily 4 hours. Here again, there are lots of photo ops. Your idea of going from Kilkenny to the Rock of Cashel and then on to Dublin is fine. From Cashel to Dublin is about a 2 and half hour drive. Be sure and get Rick's Ireland guidebook. It is well worth the money.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks very much for your reply.I was not sure about the first day.We might have to skip that area altogether .Do you have any suggestions on the drive down from Dublin to Killarney .Anything specific worth seeing?

Posted by
9363 posts

I have been to the Cliffs several times and have never hiked them at all. With the visitor center attractions, though, you could spend upwards of an hour. I don't see anything wrong with the 8th, as long as you get an early start. Killarney is the site of a national park, so there is lots to do there. You could visit Muckross House, take a pony cart ride in the park, hike, take a boat ride, etc. There are also lots of pubs with music at night. Yes, do stop at the Rock of Cashel! I don't have a map in front of me, but in my head it would be better done en route to Dublin, but you might be right about doing it en route to Kilkenny. In Kilkenny, we liked Design Center, in the old carriage house of the castle. Lots of little shops and local artisans.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you for your reply Nancy I am really looking forward to Killarney .Staying at Muckross riding stables so we will have a ride in the morning to Killarney National Park and I do like the idea of Muckross house and gardens as well.Definitely doing the rock of Cashal.

Posted by
1010 posts

We did a TAUCK tour to Ireland last June. It was 14 days. We spent an additional three days before our tour started. Ireland is BEYOND wonderful. If you get a chance, we would suggest you try to see the Ashford Castle. We stayed there for two nights. Everybody on our tour wished we could have stayed longer. The castle/hotel used to be the summer home for the Guinness family (beer and "Guinness Book Of Records") Our tour bus left us off at a dock. We boarded a boat. There were 26 of us, plus a few extra staff. We took a ride around the lake/river ?. We were on the water for about an hour. It was beautiful. Then when we approached the dock of the castle, a bagpiper was waiting for us. He greeted us. Then we all walked behind him, across a picturesque bridge and into the castle. He performed on his bagpipe, the whole time. The grounds and views are out of this world. Even though it rained off and on, the sun setting on the lake/river was stupendous. Our hotel room was over the back of the hotel garden and over the waterway. It was an experience, none of our tour group will ever forget.