Please sign in to post.

Faroe Islands

Anyone here ever been to the Faroe Islands? Last April we were in Iceland and our return flight was delayed for 3 days by the volcano (sobsob*), and the opportunity to do a quick visit to the FI presented itself. On our 1st extra day in Iceland, we visited a Reykjavik city museum/gallery in which a Faroe Island promotion was being held (including a Faroe Island music group - truly beautiful!). There was a table with FI visitor info, and we spoke with the representative and learned a bit about the country (which I believe is semi-autonomously under Danish control, but I could be wrong). Anyway, it appears to be an incredibly beautiful set of islands. We were tempted to use our extra days to visit there, but budget didn't allow. Still, I'd love to go there some time. Anyone here have first-hand experience? By the way, the Faroe Island rep told us there is a FI/Iceland joke that goes something like this: Icelanders say that the Vikings, on their way to Iceland, dropped off all the ugly people at the Faroe Islands. Faroe Islanders say that the Vikings dropped off all the people who could sing at the Faroe Islands and carried the rest to Iceland. They take their singing seriously, these Faroe Islanders, as they well should!

Posted by
425 posts

If you're not in a hurry, there are ferries running between Iceland/Faros/Shetland/Orkney/Scotland(Aberdeen). Pretend YOU are a Viking!

Posted by
2 posts

I've been there twice - 2004 and 2010. Awesome place to go. My grandmother was from there, so I have many cousins I visit. The Faroe Islands are totally different from anyplace else. Almost everyone speaks English and it's a very progressive country, though small (45,000 approx. pop.). There are daily flights through Copenhagen on Atlantic Airlines, the Faroese Airline. I can't wait to go back again. When I got off the plane on my first visit, I just felt like I was home. I hope you get a chance to visit! Marlene in Seattle