Please sign in to post.

euros

Am wondering whether it would be better to get euros ahead of time from my bank in the US or whether i should get them when I have arrived in Ireland..... will be arriving on a bank holiday and will be staying mostly in small villages throughout our trip.

Posted by
2800 posts

It would be better if you get money out of the ATM at the airport, you will get a lot better exchange rate when using an ATM.

Posted by
518 posts

I usually take some euros with me because I like to have some money. However, if you get any in advance, just make it a small amount for assurance. I usually take no more than 100. Cash machines are readily available and offer the best rates. I just like having some local money on me when I land. Others never take any and report no problems. You just have to decide. Rick has a great section in his back door book on all of this.

Posted by
635 posts

I've gotten money ahead of time before but it really isn't needed. All the airports have ATMs right outside of the passport control area and some have them before. If I really wanted to have a bit of the local currency when I landed, I'd probably change $50 or $100 at the airport. It's one of the worst rates around but for the little amount exchanged it doesn't matter. For the bulk of your cash, I recommend relying on the ATMs.

Posted by
12313 posts

I'm in the camp of get money at the airport, easy and cheaper than getting it ahead of time.

Posted by
25 posts

A question about this: Specifically in Ireland, it seems that a lot of B&B's are 'cash' paid. Since ATM's generally limit the amount of cash they pay out per day and I have a family to pay for, won't it be a good idea to bring cash with me? AAA has offered to sell, without a fee, $1000 worth of €'s to me. I will be investigating the rate, but TODAY the Euro hit a 3-year low if I'm not mistaken. Anyone have any insight into this? I'm tempted to get $1000 worth before I leave. A related question: Is Master Card taken by most businesses in Ireland, London or Paris? Thank you all! ~DrToonz.

Posted by
26 posts

My thoughts exactly.. the BB in Ireland want cash payment and the ATM's have a limit and the euro is at a low... what do people advise???

Posted by
334 posts

If you use AAA, I'd really check the exchange rate. Yes, the Euro is down today, but while AAA my have no "fee" they rarely have a good exchange "rate". Let us know how many $$ you pay for Eur 1000. Generally we get a great rate at the ATM and the only "fee" is Visa's 1% (neither our credit union or the ATMs in Europe have charged fees).

Posted by
3580 posts

I hit the ATM in town as soon as possible. Then every day I withdraw more money until I have a supply. In France, the maximum the bank would let me withdraw was E250. So, getting more money every day until I felt I had enough to last a while works for me. Then, if there is a problem finding an ATM, or a large hotel bill comes up, I have the cash in hand. All carried in a moneybelt, of course.

Posted by
25 posts

According to the person I talked to at AAA, the rate is the current exchange rate. Now where that COMES from, I do not know. I will post the answer when I do know. I intend to check it out today or tomorrow. It would be nice to know if the 1% thing is the best rate around. We'll see! ~DrToonz