Please sign in to post.

England/Scotland Itinerary

I think my husband and I have actually decided on what points of interest we will visit on our September 2012 trip to Great Britian. London Cotswolds Edinburgh Glasgow We were thinking of flying in to one city and out the other. Possibly renting a car for the Cotswold area and renting a car in Scotland to see some villages. We plan on 12 to 14 days total. I would love to hear opinions on itinerary options. There are so many of you who have traveled Great Britian extensively and have great tips and advice. One note: we have been to London before, but would still like 3 to 4 days there. We are agreeable to renting a car. also. Thanks,
Cindy

Posted by
214 posts

We have flown into Heathrow and then taken BMI to Edinburgh, picked up a car then drove the Highlands and back down to England dropping off at Heathrow. This was our trip: Day one in Edinburgh, Day two morning in Edinburgh and then drove to B & B on Loch Ness after seeing Stirling Castle. Day 3 drove to Fort William and visited that area. Day 4 drove to Lake District and stayed 2 days there. Day 7 drove to the Tintagel area and spent two days there. Day 9 drove to the Cotwolds area for 3 days and then day 12 over to Heathrow. Just a sample, a bit of driving for us but we were able to stop at anything interesting. We always got on the road by 8 and tried to not drive more than 3 hours a day.

Posted by
3428 posts

You will want a car to see the Cotswolds. Why not take the train from London to either Bath or Stratford-upon-Avon, rent a car there and spend 2-3 days exploring. Then take the train to York or all the way to Edinburgh- spend 3-4 days there , then train to Glasgow and 2-3 days there. With 3-5 days in London at the start, you have your time full. Fly into London and home from Glasgow- or do the trip in reverse.

Posted by
117 posts

Hi Cindy! I'm heading to the UK in May. I have an itinerary very similar to yours. I found that it was several hundred dollars cheaper for us to fly into Edinburgh and out of Heathrow. I also went through kayak.com. Enjoy the planning! Kristen

Posted by
35 posts

We have done day trips from London to Blenheim Palace, Windsor, Oxford, Hampton Court, Greenwich and Bath and have enjoyed all a great deal. All of these are accessible by train except Oxford and Blenheim. You will need to take a bus the last few miles.

Posted by
1446 posts

We have done this trip - same way as Darren mentioned - took the BMI flight from Heathrow to Edinburgh - spent 2 days there, then got the rental car. Saw some of Scotland, then started driving south. Dropped the rental car at Heathrow and went into London for a few days before flying home. This was a 14 day trip and worked well for us. However, on this trip when we went south from Edinburgh, we went to Hadrian's Wall and York - not the Cotswolds, but that would work too.