Please sign in to post.

england and scotland ???

We are still planning our trip to england and scotland and trying to narrow down where to stay. I don't want to spend less than 2 nights anywhere and I am thinking of spending time on either the west coast, Devon area or east coast, York or Robin Hood's Bay area. We are looking more for the small village feel, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Also, we are planning to spend about 8 nights in Scotland as well and will start in the Oban area and end in Edinburgh. I am not sure how long to plan for the Highland area. I know this is a fairly large region, but I'm wondering what are good starting and ending points and what towns to stay in. I'm still looking at guidebooks, but I love to get suggestions from sites like this.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Posted by
4 posts

I just got back from the UK (I'm in the US) and stayed at Dunedin Guest House in Edinburgh and 23 St. Mary's guest house in York. 2 nights each, but I wish I'd had 3 in both places. Accommodations were first rate, prices were extremely fair, breakfasts were excellent, hosts were welcoming and very helpful.

I envy you having 8 nights in Scotland, as it's lovely and the people are great.

Only real advice I can offer if your not hiring a car is that traveling from one place to another really eats into the daylight hours you can spend visiting each area, so I would encourage multiple night stays wherever you go if you have to rely on trains or buses. Sounds like you have the right idea already.

Posted by
3428 posts

Plan on most of your time in Scotland being in Inverness. It is a great base for day trips- you can do Skye, Glen Coe, Whiskey tours, even Orkney as day trips. Lots to do and see!

Posted by
5678 posts

While I agree with Toni that Inverness is central and I really like the town--I think I could live there! Other places to consider is a stop in Perthshire on your way back south. Aberfeldy is central and the area is beautiful. Have you read any of Rosamund Pilcher's books? They are set in Perthshire.

Posted by
16 posts

I just got back from Edinburgh and stayed at a LOVELY guesthouse/B&B-- Aonach Mor. It was beautiful, clean, comfortable, close to the city and very well run by Ross and Kathleen Birnie who are very nice. They also have a great breakfast menu with lots of options. I recommend them without reservation. Have a great trip. It is a wonderful city.

Posted by
993 posts

I was thinking about this and tho I really love Devon and Cornwall, if my goal was Scotland and I wanted someplace small on the way up I'd stay in Whitby in Yorkshire. It's just a suggestion, but look it up.

Posted by
16 posts

in edinburgh i HIGHLY recommeng the Aonach mor guest house. we had great breakfasts and the rooms are amazing. a good price too. if you stay there, tell them that melissa and rob recommended it! best of luck. have a great trip. melissa

Posted by
2773 posts

I would really consider the Cornwall and Devon area. There are so many beautiful small villages and the fishing villages are fantastic.

Posted by
100 posts

Thank you everyone for your helpful suggestions. It appears that it will be great no matter where we go!