Please sign in to post.

England

We are 4 adults-2 over 65-interested in a 7-day trip to London, Cambridge and Newmarket. Can this be arranged without great expense since I'm paying for the 4?

Posted by
15773 posts

"Great expense" is relative. Central London hotel prices are very high, compared to much of Europe. You can get a good idea of prices by using the hotel search on tripadvisor.com For meals, it depends on your style. Do you want to join day tours or go it on your own? Or perhaps hire a private guide? And what time of year?

Posted by
12 posts

Check out airfares first to see if that is feasible. The least expensive double room we found in a respectable place high season is about $140. It would be less if you went low season. Friends just returned from spending Christmas week in London and loved it. Prices were less and the city was decorated beautifully.

Posted by
3551 posts

I would ck into a tour package so that you can all enjoy your trip. There can be alot of logistics for touring w/ 4 persons espec when some are over 65. There are many to ck like Globus (budget) or Tuack (more costly). That way your transfers, guides , transport, lodging and many meals are included less decision-making and more relaxing and sightseeing.
Expense is relative. Just remember London is one of the most expensive cities in the world for lodging. Good thing is that many lodging options have breakfast incl. a very gd convenience while traveling.

Posted by
5678 posts

I think you can do this on your own. What did I see somewhere, that 80 is the new 60? I've not done this, but you might want to look into renting an apartment for a week. You can do a day trip by train to Cambridge. Try posting on TripAdvisor if you don't get some suggestions hear with specifics on costs. I've seen several people comment that a flat is a good economical choice. Pam

Posted by
591 posts

It's not difficult to arrange by yourself and you'll have fun doing it. You've chosen 3 great destinations. I presume some or all of you like horses (or Dick Francis novels) and Newmarket is a great little town to visit. If you're really into horses, then I'd suggest spending 2 or 3 nights in Newmarket where you can visit the Nat'l Stud & Nat'l Horse Racing Museum. If you stay at the Heath Court Hotel ( a Best Western), you'll be right next to the gallups where you can watch several hundred horses work out each morning. It's about a 15" train ride to Cambridge for a day trip there (you switch trains in Cambridge en route to Newmarket). Of course, if you prefer to spend more time in Cambridge, find lodging there and do a day trip to Newmarket. Cambridge University's Kings College Chapel is amazing.

Posted by
1010 posts

Hello. My husband and I have stayed in London three times in the past three years. We have been there a total of five weeks. We absoulutely love London. We totally recommend the hotel we have stayed in. It is the Crowne Plaza, South Kensington (100 Cromwell). It is part of the Priority Club Hotel chaim. That includes Holiday Inns Crowne Plaza, Intercontinental, etc. hotels. The hotel is in a great location. It is directly across the street from the Gloucester tube station. London's tube is fabulous. We have taken the tube out to Cambridge twice. After we got there, we walked across from the tube station and boarded a hop on-hop-off bus. The bus takes you around the college, etc. There isn't much to do in Cambridge, but it is a quaint town. There is also a beautiful mall where you can eat. Recently we ate over where they do their punting. You can get around London very easy. Otherwise we used a bus tour company for day trips to see Bath, Stonhenge, all around London, the Cotswolds, etc. I am 64 and my husband is 70. We found getting around London to be a lot of fun. You will never get bored with London. I hope you enjoy your trip. Elaine

Posted by
591 posts

Just a note on Elaine's comment about taking the tube to Cambridge........ she probably meant that you take the tube to London Kings Cross station and then change to a train to Cambridge.

Posted by
2800 posts

Lucy, you were given wrong information. You can not take the tube to Cambridge...you will need to go to London's Kings Cross train station, take the train to Cambridge.