Please sign in to post.

Eilean Donan Castle

Is it worth it to tour the inside of the castle? Can you get close to the castle without paying to tour the inside?

Posted by
312 posts

I enjoyed the tour, but YMMV. I visited 2010 and the bridge was not crossed without buying entry. Maybe try the virtual tour and see if it piques your interest to see in person: http://www.eileandonancastle.com/virtual-tour.htm You can see a lot of nice pictures if you are on Facebook and hit the "like" button for the Castle. Cheers.

Posted by
5678 posts

I thought it was a nice tour. Was it better than other castles? It's hard to say. Each one is very individualistic. So, if you're burnt out on castles by the time you get to Eilean Donan and just want to get to Skye and start walking in the Cuillins, then just stop and grab the picture. The best position is to the west of the castle. : ) I didn't even see Eilean Donan until my 9th or 10th visit. Pam

Posted by
3428 posts

We enjoyed the tour. The kitchen (and other rooms) had examples of products from earlier in the 20th century. It was fun to see the UK version of those things. Other rooms had nice displays also- weapons, tartan, etc. The best part of the castle though, in my opinion, is the view OF the castle. It was used in the first part of Highlander for a reason. It really captures the 'essence' of the Highlands.