Please sign in to post.

Edinburgh Tattoo

We will be on a cruise in August with two days in Glasgow. I had already been thinking one day (the second) would be enough for Glasgow and that we could take the train to Edinburgh from Glasgow the first day and then have another day in Edinburgh later when the ship docks there. It looks like the ET is actually at the castle so that it would be reasonably easy to get to if we bought our own tickets rather than going on the cruise's excursion and bus. I would appreciate hearing from some of you who have made your own arrangements for the Tattoo on such topics as where you recommend sitting, how long to allow to queue and get to seats, will there be trains back to Glasgow after the Tattoo, and any other advice...thanks!!

Posted by
2876 posts

The Tattoo website has a seating diagram. Obviously the best seats are "50 yard line" but the venue is small enough that you can enjoy it from any seat. Note that several of the performances are already sold out. Buy your tickets as soon as possible. Tattoo staff will organize the pre-Tattoo crowd into a queue on the street outside the Castle. People will start to gather about an hour ahead of time. It really doesn't matter where you are in the queue, since all seats are reserved. You'll have plenty of time to find your seat once the gates open. Train info is here: http://www.scotrail.co.uk/ Tattoo website: http://www.edintattoo.co.uk Dress warm - even in August it can get very windy and chilly on the Castle hill at night.

Posted by
1986 posts

Yes, The Tattoo is AT the castle. Our first time we went as part of an organized tour and it went well, no hold-ups or problems. As it is all "displays' and marching etc, having seats higher up may be helpful so you can see the whole field. I am not so sure there is any advantage of trying to do it on your own rather than have the cruise do all the arrangements- including getting you to and from the Tattoo. Cold, Windy and WET- be prepared for rain or drizzle,. But very worthwhile

Posted by
113 posts

The main advantage to doing it on our own is that the cruise excursion doesn't leave Greenock until about 5 pm, and we can go early by train and have the entire day to sightsee. The best I can find so far is that the last train would leave about 11:30 pm so hope that we would have enough time after the 9 pm-90 minute Tattoo to get to the station. Since I think I've figured out it's Waverly station at the bottom of the castle hill I'm guessing we could make it. It would only take us to Glasgow Queen Street, so worst case is that we might have to find a taxi back to the ship. Thank you both for your suggestions.