Please sign in to post.

Edinburgh Military Tattoo, August 2011

We need to get from Greenock (Glasgow) to the Tattoo in August, but need to return to the cruise ship on time before it sails at 2 AM. Suggestions on how to get from point A to point B? 1. rent a car 2. tour group and any suggested companies 3. other?
Thanks

Posted by
345 posts

Make sure you get tickets for the earlier show, not the later one with fireworks. The late show runs until at least midnight, making your trip impossible. I'd do the 7:30 show at the latest, and even that would make me a bit uncomfortable... It's around 2 hours of driving, one way, and with time for parking, walking, and then queuing... and don't forget seat cushion rental... and then the time getting out afterwards... it'll take up a substantial amount of time. Is it just one day that the ship is in port? I did the Tattoo last summer and it was lovely, but not sure I'd risk missing a cruise over it.

Posted by
2876 posts

If the schedule is like last year, there is a 7:30 show only on Saturdays. (Saturday has 2 shows: 7:30 and 10:30). Monday thru Friday there is only a single 9:00 PM show, and there is no show on Sundays. One tip I'll give you: dress warm. Even though it's mid-August, at the 10:30 Saturday show we froze. You're on top of a hill in open-air bleachers and it can be windy & cold. The upside is that the Tattoo is awesome, a terrific show. Definitely worth it despite the elements. And maybe it'll be warm in 2011.

Posted by
9110 posts

I don't think you can pull it off. Here' why: The show takes an hour and a half. I can drive from Edinburgh to Glasgow (city centers) in 1.5 hours on a good day in daylight. Greenock is west of Glasgow, maybe another half hour. Call the basic drive two hours if you're lucky and don't get lost (which you will since it will be pushing dark at the end of the trip). Add another hour to get out of the castle and to where you left the car, even if you parked anywhere close. Add another something (45 min ?) to get from where the car is to the freeway in the crowds. Add another something (30 min ?) to turn in the car and hustle to the boat. (NOTE: This assumes you can ditch the car at Greenock I have no idea if you can, but if you can't all bets are off.) That's 5.5 hours, minimally, from the start of the shown until you get to the boat. With a heck of a lot of luck, you just might make it with an hour to spare for the 7:30 show. That's way to close for me and I'm a charter member of the ScrewIt,Anything'sPossible Club. The kicker is that Saturday is the only day (from my feeble memory) that has an early show other days the show is either at nine or ten. The only other possibilities that come to mind are either having a hired driver and car or an excursion from the cruise line. I haven't the foggiest idea about either.

Posted by
16 posts

Thank you to all who have replied to my query. We have the 9 pm show option only for our date. Am investigating a private driver who is also the tour guide who will do pick up and off for us. Since he is a reputable guide with experience doing the Tattoo time restraints, we feel comfortable with him
Thanks!

Posted by
109 posts

What ship are you on? I know Princess offers it as a shore excursion probably for more $ but worth it as it will include transportation and you won't have to worry about missing the ship. It will be too early to schecule it how but Princess will already have the tickets reserved and will post them for sale about 90 days prior to sailing.

Posted by
1986 posts

Heed well Tom's warning about dressing warm (and dry). Based on our experience, thre must be some rule that there will always be at least a light rain at some time during the show. And the wind is really cold