Please sign in to post.

Edinburgh Hotel?

Another question related to an upcoming "girls' trip" with my sister next spring. We will spend a couple of nights in Edinburgh and want to be right in the Old Town, or New Town, or Royal Mile area so we can walk to sights like the castle. Ricky's recs are all guesthouses a bus ride away from these areas. We like nice boutique hotels, not luxury, prefer modern trendy decor to Victorian plush. Price to £200 a night for a twin room ( but £ 150 would be better!) Suggestions?

Posted by
11 posts

We stayed in an apartment in New Town. Very convenient to city center. It was 59 Thistle St. We booked through Edlets. Total cost for 7 nights was 400 pounds( I think about $640). It is a one bedroom with a sleeper sofa in the living room. Large kitchen. Great restaurants on the same street. Hope this helps.

Posted by
4637 posts

I stayed in Jury's Inn (Ricks recommendation) and it cost 159 pounds. Then I found Motel One (actually it was hotel not motel) cost 69 pounds. I did not see much difference between those two besides price. Both are just short walk up to get to Royal Mile and they are both close to the train station and to Wawerley Bridge where you can catch bus to the airport. Motel One is just few steps from there, Jury's Inn five to ten minutes walk.

Posted by
5678 posts

I stayed at The Walton B&B and it's in NewTown. Edinburgh is not a big place and it's not hard to get around. THere are some great pricier hotels in New Town and near theRoyal Mile. I had friends who loved The Scotsman. I've always wanted to stay at The George.

Pam

Posted by
3098 posts

Thanks! We'll check them out. As I said originally,,we are looking for a nice boutique hotel, something a bit upscale.

Posted by
5678 posts

Sasha,

i would also ask this question on the TripAdvisor forum. I would say that the Scotsman might be the most interesting of the ones listed. I don't know that it will come at your price point though.

Pam

Posted by
212 posts

We stayed at a nice boutique hotel in New Town that was part of the RS Scotland tour last year. Check out the Bonham.

Posted by
212 posts

We stayed at a nice boutique hotel in New Town that was part of the RS Scotland tour last year. Check out the Bonham.

Posted by
3098 posts

Lookalike the Scotsman is 175 GBP, which is OK, but I can 't see any twin rooms at that price. I'll check out the Bonham.

Posted by
2023 posts

We stayed at the MacDonald Hotel on the last trip and liked it. Breakfast was great and they have a nice pool. Wonderful staff-very attentive.