Please sign in to post.

Edinburgh Fringe Event 2012

I will be in Edinburgh this August and plan on attending one of the Fringe Festival events. Any suggestions on a good stand up act from previous Fringe Festivals?

Posted by
5678 posts

Wish I could help. Have you searched The Scotsman for Fringe Reviews? You might find some interesting comments. I'd also post on tripAdvisor. Pam

Posted by
9109 posts

Don't know if he will be performing at this years festival, but author/comedian Dave Gorman is a fringe favorite.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks for the advice. I did find a good resource in the British Comedy Guide on line. They listed a 'Top 25' from 2011. I will pick up a Scotsman paper once I get there and see what they recommend for the various 'free' events taking place.

Posted by
2 posts

I've purchased tickets to Al Murray, The Pub Landlord - you can watch him on YouTube.

Posted by
2 posts

OH! ....and of course you want tickets to the Tattoo.

Posted by
5678 posts

The Fringe is an arts festival. It's more free-wheeling than the Edinburgh Festival, which is much more formal. Click here. Pam

Posted by
392 posts

Anyone who is going to the Fringe this year and likes improv and/or Shakespeare needs to see The School of Night. That is all.

Posted by
392 posts

If you didn't see a Fringe show, you wouldn't get it, I think. The hoopla that has grown up around the Fringe seems ridiculous to me, as it completely takes over the Old Town. But we saw 12 shows and none of them were duds. We are big fans of the NYC Fringe, which is much more confined and doesn't take over even the part of the city it's in. This was just overwhelming in its scale in comparison. The Tattoo was one of my favorite things I have ever done, though.

Posted by
32332 posts

I was in Edinburgh last August during and quite enjoyed watching some of the performers (I was primarily there to see Edinburgh and the Tattoo). I believe there are actually two Festivals, the Edinburgh Festival which is a more formal classical music event, and the Edinburgh Fringe Festival which is more "informal" and "artsy". There were a LOT of people in town for both events, so the streets were lively. Regarding the Military Tattoo, I agree with other comments - it was incredible and one of the most impressive shows I've ever seen. Edinburgh is a lot of fun in August!