Please sign in to post.

Edinburgh Castle

anyone book tickets online for the castle ahead of time. Not sure what the lineups would be in late Sept.

Posted by
5678 posts

I've not bought tickets online, but I can say that the lines around the second week of September were not bad at all. In fact, I walked up and walked in. BTW have you looked at what other Historic Scotland places you are visiting? It might be worth a membership. I was a member for several years and will likely join again. I liked the membership over the explorer's pass as I got a quarterly magazine that I enjoyed reading for the next year. It was one of my souvenirs. Historic Scotland. Most commonly visited sites would include Stirling Castle, Urqhart Castle, and Scarra Brae. But I also liked Linlithgow which is very near Edinburgh, Fort George near Culloden (Culloden Battlefield is not an Historic Scotland property), St. Andrew's Castle (loved the mine), Iona Abbey (will never forget the robin singing. Visited the Abbey on 9/11), Jedburgh Abbey (if you are going to the Borders this is a great one. Drysdale is also Historic Scotland), Hermitage Castle (What a stark amazing place. You can really understand the Borders when you see this castle!), Doune Castle of Monty Python fame. Well, clearly I can go n forever. You should do your own search on their website. ; ) Pam

Posted by
373 posts

Thanks Pamela, we are really only there for one day. We fly into Edinburgh so we can see a bit more scenery as we make our way into England. We were originally just flying into London and then taking the train to York but we decided if we flew into Edinburgh we could see it and then take the train down to York. Stay in York and then continue on and see more of the country. So, we will only by buying the Castle tickets... for this trip. :) Thanks for the advice though.