Please sign in to post.

Edinburgh B&B for Military Tattoo August 2011

I am going to the Edinburgh Military Tattoo the end of August. Any suggestions for reasonably priced B&B? I am thinking of maybe staying by the airport. Anybody know about public transportation to get back to the hotel around midnight?

Posted by
1986 posts

Why stay at the airport- unless you are just flying in for a couple of hours. Nothing to see or experience there. Seems to make more sense to stay somewhere you can walk to after the tattoo. remember these shows are extremely popular, tons of people leave at the same time- whatever taxis were available are all full and gone

Posted by
26 posts

Last summer I was in Edinburgh for a few days and I stayed at a B & B called Elmview - absolutely fabulous place (I'd go back to Edinburgh just to stay there again), but it may be a little more expensive than you'd like and I think you have to reserve for 3 nights. It was only about a 10-15 minute walk from the castle in a very nice area. I know that there is a bus from the airport to downtown Edinburgh but I'm not sure how late the bus runs.

Posted by
4 posts

The Hilton at the airport is offering 50% off rooms and I can get a twin room for $132.00less than half what I'm finding for rates anywhere else. Of course, i would prefer to stay in town, but this seems like a good offer. Transportation is the thing! Thanks for all replys. I'm going to continue searching for an in-town option, but want to book soon.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks so much for the bus tip. I checked into it and that will work perfectly. I can get the night bus from Waverly Station to the airport then take the free shuttle back to the Hilton. An added plus it that the hotel has parking and the Scottish Dog Club show I will be attending the 2 days after the Tattoo is being held at the airport. While it would be nice to have a room in town the night of the Tattoo, the cost is just too prohibitive. Although I had to prepay, I got a room at half what it would cost in town. This help site is the best.