Please sign in to post.

edinburgh b&b

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good B&B/hotel in Edinburgh? We are travelling with a 7 month old.

Posted by
32219 posts

Iris, When is your trip taking place, and are you concerned about staying right on the Royal Mile? I stayed at Hotel Ceilidh Donia last year, and would highly recommend them. The Hotel is located along Dalkeith Road, a short Bus ride from Waverly Station. The rooms are great and the staff wonderful! Happy travels!

Posted by
2373 posts

Two things you can do. One: Look on this website on graffiti wall section about heroic bed and breakfast's it is called and I think you will find B&B recommendations. Two: Look further down on this site and will see Edinburgh questions and maybe will find what you need. We rented an apartment so can't help you with B&B.

Posted by
837 posts

We stayed at 6 Brunton Place. It is currently rated #2 b and b in Edinburgh on tripadvisor. Wonderful place with great breakfast and afternoon wine. Whatever you do, do not consider the places recommended in Rick's book most of which are located a long way from anywhere in a very dingy district.

Posted by
346 posts

We just got back from a trip to Edinburgh and stayed at the Priestville Guest House-recommended by RS and us, though the rooms are up a pretty good flight of steps, the place is very nice and cosy and the host,Colin, is extremely ehlpful

Posted by
39 posts

In my opinion, the b&bs are not convenient for touring Edinburgh. I've gone their yearly since 2009 and I always stay at Jury's Inn, walking distance to Waverly Station and the bus stop to and from the airport. Breakfast included. Just down a close to the Royal Mile.

Posted by
9 posts

Thanks everyone for the tips for b&b's and hotels to stay at in Edinburgh. I took some advice from a friend that went there in May and she said the British Royal Hotel was pretty good, so we shall see.

Posted by
837 posts

Iris, actually the name is Royal British Hotel. You might want to go to tripadvisor.com before making a final decision. This hotel is rated near the bottom of all hotels in Edinburgh. I could not disagree more with the post about B&Bs in Edinburgh being inconvenient. Oh yes, the ones recommended by Rick certainly are. However, there are many which are quite convenient. For instance, 6 Brunton Place is about 4 blocks over the hill from Holyrood Palace. By the way, do not miss The Olive Tree bistro while you are there. Incredible food!!

Posted by
5678 posts

I agree with the comment that B&B do not have to be inconvenient. To be frank, Edinburgh is not a big place. I've stayed in New town at the Walton and been in walking distance of Waverly and had the same situation staying behind Calton Hill. I've also stayed further down the hill toward Leith at a small hotel, The Inverlieth, and taken the bus up in the AM and then walked back down at the end of the day. It's not far. If you want to roll out of the hotel or B&B and be directly on the Royal Mile, then, no, these would be deemed inconvenient. They vary from a 10 minute walk to a ten minute bus ride. I find though, that I do my touring of the Royal Mile during the day and go to pubs and restaurants else where at night. Pam

Posted by
279 posts

I stayed this summer in a guesthouse called the Ben Doran on Mayfield Gardens, which is the main north-south road into the heart of the Royal Mile and onto Waverly Station and New Town. Yes, it was two miles to the Royal Mile, but there were tons of buses going up and down that road at all times of the day for a very reasonable cost, and since I had a car, I was pleased that they had off-road parking in their little courtyard. Loved the 18th century building, very elegant room on the third floor with a fantastic sweeping staircase, and very quiet being away from most of the tourists.

Posted by
484 posts

Here's my 2 cents. I stayed at Kenvie Guest House. It's off of Dalkeith Road with the other B&B's. It's not fancy. But, clean, cozy, and safe. The owners live on premises and are pleasant and serve a good breakfast. Easy bus connection to downtown Edinburgh. Drop off near the halfway point of royal mile. Close to St. Gile's church. B&B's will give you bus info. The bus is cheap. Just pay per fare rather than deal with a weekly bus pass.

Posted by
5678 posts

Actually, there is a daily bus pass that you can get that is a good value. Ask at any B&B for the cost and what it's called. Pam

Posted by
3 posts

Hello! When my parents came to visit me in Edinburgh they stayed at the Cluaran House on Leamington Terrace in Bruntsfield. They loved it; comfy room, incredibly nice owners, good breakfast. It's right near The Meadows although it's about a twenty minute walk "into town." Plenty of bus lines though. I believe it was 80 pounds a night for a double, and that was in the summer. Have fun!