Please sign in to post.

Edinburgh

We are in Salzburg,Austria right now, and have just decided to head to Edinburgh, Scotland..I purchased at least 5 of Rick Steves books from all the countries we have already been in...I didn't get one for Scotland and Ireland though...I had NO CLUE we would be heading that way with our Eurail pass..So my question is: We looked online and would like to stay in Old Town Edinburgh, I couldn't pick a hotel random..Should we just go to the TI once we get there and see what we can find? Does anyone remember their trip there and wish to give us a heads up on whee to stay? It's my 70 year old Mother and myself traveling...The hardest part for us is 2 beds not connected and a lift if above the ground floor...

Thank you,
Lauren

Posted by
12 posts

Lauren, do you have any idea how much you want to spend? Most B&Bs do not have lifts, so you might have to stay in a hotel. All the B&Bs Rick lists in the 2008 Great Britain book are located on quiet streets, south of town near the Royal Commonwealth Pool (I will be staying at the AmarAgua Guest House in October tel. 0131/667-2743). Rick does mention a few hotels, but notes that they "offer more comfort than character." If you let me know your price range I might be able to help you find something...

Posted by
2776 posts

Toni from the helpline always recommands the Royal British Hotel, Princes Street. Phone 01315564901
It's across the street from Waverly Train Station.

Posted by
33 posts

Thanks...In Euro's I figured about 100 E a night...I guess we have to get British Pounds when we get there...

Posted by
199 posts

Lauren, I can't yet speak from experience, but from what I've seen on their website, The Victorian Townhouse looks just great. We will arrive there this Saturday for 3 days, and it will cost 80 pounds per night...about what you're budgeting. Website is TheVictorianTownhouse.com. Give it a try.

Posted by
33 posts

It looks like we can't get into the Royal British Hotel until Sunday Night...I guess that means we have to stay 2 nights in London then, hopefully close enough to the train station...Again..Anyone? Where can we stay this Friday and Saturday night in London, hopefully by the train station that will take us up to Edinburgh?

Thanks again,
Lauren

Posted by
25 posts

I was just in Edinburgh 2 weeks ago and we stayed at the Dukes of Windsor - it is about a 10 minute walk to the Royal Mile and a 5 minute walk to Waverly station. It is a beautiful Georgian B&B - spotless too. I think we paid $140 pounds per night and we had a gorgeous room on the ground floor.
This might be too much walking for your mother. The TI is right across the street from the Waverly Station so you might go in there and see what they recommend.

Enjoy your trip - Scotland is lovely.

Posted by
5678 posts

Lauren, You can use the search site from www.visitscotland.com You can check their search or look at the last minute holidays. Scotland's tourist agency rates their hotels. My experience has been that a three thistle hotel is just fine. Check the map to see if you are really in the city centre. The facilities section will tell you if there is a lift (elevator).

Posted by
1014 posts

When we were in Edinburgh, we stayed at Numberfive self catering. See: http://www.hotfroguk.co.uk/Companies/Numberfive

It is out of Edinburgh proper, in a town called Portobello, but it is on the bus line. The stop is right outside the door. They have free parking, behind a gated fence. Park your car and take the bus into town - a 20 minute ride for 2.30L round trip back then. It is self catering, so you can cook your own food. They have insuite or down the hall, your choice. Obviously, down the hall is cheaper. The maid comes every day to clean and straighten. We really enjoyed the stay there and will stay there again if we return to Edinburgh.