Please sign in to post.

Dublin to Dingle and back to Dublin

First time in Ireland - not sure we want to rent a car. Thinking of flying into Dublin (ard 6/15) with my husband and 24 yr old daughter. Need to get to Dingle to pick up other daughter and leave Dingle prob on 25th to return to dublin and fly out on 29th. Looked at Paddy wagon tours but don't think it will work. Can't figure out buses and trains and would like to stop on the way. Any suggestions?

Posted by
4 posts

Would it make sense to fly into another airport (not Dublin) and drive around see the sights, go to dingle and then drive from dingle to an airport and fly to dublin for a few days? Or is there much of a difference (time wise) if we start and end in Dublin by car?

Posted by
8700 posts

Two good options:

1. Fly to Dublin, spend some time there, drive to Dingle and wherever else you choose, drive to Shannon, fly home.

2. Fly to Shannon, drive to Dingle, drive up the west coast, drive to Dublin, spend some time there, fly home.

Posted by
9363 posts

The best way to see Ireland is by car. Buses cover most everything, but the schedules might not work out for you. Trains don't cover much in the west.

Posted by
8700 posts

I agree with Nancy that having a car is best and that buses go more places than do trains.

You say thay you can't figure out the buses. Have you gone to the Bus Eireann site and used the Journey Planner and Timetables search features?

Whether you rent a car or take the bus, you'll want a detailed Ireland map. I've found the Michelin Ireland map to be detailed enough, but the Ordnance Survey maps which divide Ireland into regions are even more detailed. You can order the Michelin map from amazon.com.

Posted by
4 posts

Might have to reconsider renting a car. Wouldn't want it in dublin but could sight see on our way to dingle. Drive back from Dingle to dublin seems long and i keep reading that the roads are narrow, bumpy etc..... and driving on the wrong side of the road doesn't make it easier. Maybe drive to another airport and leave the car there and fly to dublin. Any suggestions?

Posted by
9363 posts

You could fly from Kerry or Shannon to Dublin. But you might be surprised at the quality of the highways, too. (Yes, there are highways that look like regular interstates here.) The rural roads are narrow and can be confusing, but there are major routes toward the south and west as well.

Posted by
9363 posts

I've done exactly that -- fly into one airport and out the other. That way you can maximize your sightseeing time without backtracking to your starting point.

Posted by
2 posts

Hi Vicki, Unless you really want to spend time in Dublin, Fly to Shannon. It's best to rent a car, but not until you are finished with Dublin. When driving, remember to look right first when pulling onto the road, and stay to the left. Yield to traffic coming from the right in round-a-bouts , and you'll be fine if you stay alert.The best "map" these days is an up to date GPS (like a garmin) with European maps. It will save you time and aggravation like nothing else. Stay in country b&bs and take your atm card for cash in Euros, not travellers checks. In Ireland they call an atm a "hole in the wall", and they are everywhere. If you would like some personal recommendations, email me privately, and I can give you some good ones. I've travelled in Ireland for 30 years, and now own a home there and spend 5-7 months a year there. Have a great trip! Dan