Please sign in to post.

dublin

We have 4 nights in Dublin planned (with 2 teenagers). thought we might go the 1st day from the airport to spend the night in Powerscourt and see some of the coastal towns and Wicklow Mountain region or to Kilkenny before heading up to Dublin. Which would you choose?

Posted by
9363 posts

You could easily drive to Glendalough (monastic settlement) through Avoca (woollen mill, and a cute little town) to Arklow, on the coast, for the night. The next morning you could drive up the coast road, which is a really pretty drive, and get back on the motorway at Wicklow town to go back to Dublin.

Posted by
12172 posts

We did a daytrip out of Dublin on BusEiren(?) to Newgrange. We bought our tickets at the downtown bus station the day prior, then showed up for the tour. The Newgrange tour stops at the Hill of Tara and Newgrange. It also stops briefly at the site of the Battle of the Boyne.

Another daytrip offered is to Glendalough. If you aren't driving, these bus trips are a great value.

Posted by
213 posts

Susan, my wife and I did this trip in April from Chicago. Kilkenny is actually farther away from the airport than you may realize ... 2 1/2 - 3 hours. Seems like a lot of driving to and back for one night. Maybe better to focus your time and energies around Powerscourt and/or Glendalough. Here's an alternative idea ... simply stay in Dublin and take day tours to both Powerscourt and Glendalough. You'll tour the Wicklow Mountains on both tours.

Posted by
977 posts

Dublin hop on hop off bus one day, Newgrange one day, Powerscourt/Glendalough another day. If you have half a day to spare, take the Dart north to the fishing village of Howth.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks so much all for your helpful info! I'm beginning to wrap my head around this. It sounds like there is plenty to do just south of Dublin so we'll skip Kilkenny and either head to Powerscourt or a little further south the 1st day...relax and tour. And explore the Wicklow mountains the next day before heading up to the city.