Please sign in to post.

Driving from St. Andrews to Loch Lomond to Windemere

We will be making these two rides during the next week and were told today that the rides present difficult driving with very narrow roads making it difficult to manuever. has anyone made either of these rides and is this something we should be concerned about. Any advice or tips would be appreciated.
Thanks on advance

Posted by
5678 posts

Are you thinking of doing this in one day? I don't think that would be a good idea. To drive from St. Andrew's to Loch Lomond, you're driving across Scotland at its heart, but a bit north so there are no M roads. That means you're on A roads for the most part, which is like driving on two lane roads in the US. I don't see any single track so, it shouldn't be to bad. Think of it as driving in the foot hills of the Sierra Nevada, Pam

Posted by
214 posts

I have driven several areas of Scotland, you will be fine. No different than driving the foothills of the Sierra Nevada.

Posted by
21 posts

We are going from st. Andrews to loch lomond one day and from loch lomond to windemere the following day. Thanks to both for your replies. They help.

Posted by
343 posts

We didn't have any problems with the roads. We did the Loch Lomand to Windemere and it was no problem at all. We did St. Andrews to Sterling, to Glencoe, to Mallaig to Loch Lomand, so we weren't that direct about that leg of the trip.

Posted by
21 posts

I started this thread and just wanted to mention that we have completed the drives and it went well. The last part of the ride into Lake Windemere is on narrow two lane roads with a lot of turns. Driving slowly and carefully is the key. If you pay attention you will be fine. Thanks to those of you that replied.