Please sign in to post.

driver vs.tour? Need destination recommendations, too!+

Going with a group to Ireland the end of August. We'll be based in Kinsale and going to Blarney Castle, Killarny National Park, Cobh and city Cork. I'm thinking about arriving a few days early and seeing more of Ireland. I've read Rick's book, but still don't know what to do. Can you please help? Is it better to hire a driver, or take day tours (from Dublin, perhaps?). And what should I see, if I arrived an extra 4 days early, say? Or do I need more or less? I'd appreciate any help you can give!
Thank you!

Posted by
2427 posts

Hi Kathie, Although I haven't been there in years, I found the Rock of Cashel and Glendalough very memorable. Also the Dingle Peninsula depending on the weather. There's also lots to do in Dublin. Hope this helps. Mary

Posted by
1446 posts

To me, being based in Dublin for the 4 days makes the most sense. Check a website like viator.com to see which kind of day (or half-day) group tours are available for visiting Dublin and areas outside of Dublin, like Glendalough. In addition, I can recommend Michael Fox for a private tour of the Boyne Valley's sights (Newgrange, Hill of Tara, Bective Abbey, Trim Castle, etc.) out of Dublin. He also can take you to Glendalough, Avoca and Wicklow county:
http://www.boynevalleytours.com/ Between the city itself and a tour or two - your time will be quickly and well filled!

Posted by
9 posts

Thank you both, so very much. I'm going to look into your suggestions. So, is it no then to driving yourself? Better to take a tour, or hire a driver?

Posted by
9110 posts

If the last question was asking if you should drive yourself or not, sure, have at it. It's a time-eating pain in the tail driving in and out of Dublin every day, however.