Please sign in to post.

Dressing for London March 9-19, 2011

My husband, teen daughter and I are visiting London and Bath in March of 2011. I have been checking weather history and certain sites about how to dress, but I am still a bit baffled. We will be outside walking quite a bit and I want to keep warm, but I don't want to bring bulky winter coats. We're from Wisconsin, so cold weather itself isn't an issue; but how light can we go with our coats? I don't plan on bringing rain gear, it's not the wet season and a little rain is okay. What have people's experiences been in mid-March? I plan on bringing long-sleeve light weight shirts and maybe a heavy sweater or two just in case.

Posted by
3428 posts

British weather can be iffy any time of year. You could have clouds, light rain, thunder storms, sun, heat, cold, snow- all in one day. March PROBABLY won't be too cold (at least by Wisconsin standards). But you will want to take things you can layer. I'd take a couple of short sleeve T-shirt type tops that you can wear under the long sleeve button-ups or over long sleeve T's. Take a sweater or a fleece vest. Take a windbreaker or gortex jacket (with hood). If it gets cold you can buy gloves, scarves, and a hat over there. I take cotton-blend pants (I'm allergic to wool). Take water proof, comfortable walking shoes (take spare liners or a spare pair of shoes). Make sure everything coordinates with everything else. I take black pants (2 pair) and khaki (1 or 2 pair), red and black T's, black button up, white and black stripped button up, black and red button up, and in winter a black and a red turtle necks with only 1 short sleeve black T. My windbreaker folds (wads) up to almost nothing in my day pack.

Posted by
1814 posts

Get everyone a cashmere sweater as a holiday gift, or if you prefer buy them for half-price after the holidays. They are excellent for light-weight warmth and you will also look very "posh" walking around London. You might also want to get each of you a silk undershirt (Winter Silks sells dozens of styles). You probably should also pack light-weght rain coats with zip-out liners. It could feel chilly because of the dampness. If you need anything else warm, you are going to the land of woolies-plenty of attractive choices available.

Posted by
53 posts

We were there at the end of March and beginning of April last year, and thought it quite chilly on several days (especially our early morning Stonehenge visit, when we enjoyed a cutting wind!). At best, a weak sun. I'm from Chicago originally, and I was wearing three and four layers most days (t-shirt, long-sleeve shirt, sweater or sweatshirt, and London Fog raincoat with liner).

Posted by
32519 posts

Who knows? I just went out to the hall tree and checked. I have 5 different outside coats, my wife has more. We look outside each day and pick the right one. I'm aware you can't do that but you must be prepared for the unpredictable. Just read that winter is coming to the UK a month early and we will probably have snow over most of the country to one degree or the other this weekend. As said by others, layers is the answer. I remember taking my brother from Texas to the changing of the guard in April 1983 and we froze in the sleet. Anybody who brings no rain gear to England at any time of the year deserves what they get. Every bag needs an umbrella, at least. My wife has just reminded me that she carries a light umbrella when she knows it won't rain, and a heavier one when it might.

Posted by
1829 posts

IME the last two Marches have been cold, in particular the wind. Do not bring a heavy coat with you, but do as others have suggested and layer and wear a hat and gloves. Not only will you be warm enough but you will not melt when you go inside because you can easily remove and carry/pack away a lighter layer. Heating in shops etc will be on high!

Posted by
970 posts

As in most parts of the U.S., March weather in the UK is volatile. There's a reason everyone always recommends wearing layers. It might be chilly and blustery at 9 in the morning, and cool and sunny two hours later. Or, 10 minutes later, if the sun is playing hide-and-seek with the clouds. Definitely bring coats that will stop the wind. Hats may come in handy if you run into drizzle and light rain. Don't bring heavy winter coats. If worse comes to worse, you can always buy them in London or Bath. Remember, the UK is north of Wisconsin. If not for the warm waters of the Gulf Stream, its weather would resemble that of Labrador. The sun will be about one-third of the way above the horizon at noon in March. Be sure to check the weather forecast just before you start packing, in case something really unusual is in the works.

Posted by
2349 posts

I was there in March and wore a raincoat with a zip out lining and it was perfect. Remember that 40F and damp can make you feel colder than 20F and dry. I do wish I'd taken silk long undies for my teens-they get colder (or louder about it) than I do. Wool socks are great. Probably the coldest place you'll visit is the restroom at a pub or restaurant. They like their toilets chilly over there.

Posted by
1021 posts

My wife and I joke that the only difference in packing for English seasons is that we don't put in heavy winter stuff in Summer nor shorts and sandals in winter. That's a mild exaggeration, but we pack pretty much the same for any month of the year. One never knows what to expect from the weather and even on mild days the evenings can be quite cool. Layer as others have advised, have a windbreak and umbrella, and a couple of cashmere sweaters. You probably won't need shorts and sandals.

Posted by
32519 posts

Karen You've said a mouthful there. My neighbour has completely remodelled his house and his second toilet is still outside. My parents not too long ago had one next to the garage. Our house is built with a large air-brick in the separate toilet room. Bathroom's ok but its like going outside if you need the smallest room.

Posted by
3696 posts

For you and your daughter I would recommend a pashmina. You can use it as a scarf to keep your neck warm, as a shawl around your shoulders, as a hood, and also as a blanket on the plane. They take up little room and can be purchased in plain colors as well as patterns. I buy relatively inexpensive ones for travel just in case I lose one. I always take thin layers in plain colors (usually black) I have an unlined velvet coat that has taken me through lots of European trips. (England over New Years, Venice in Feb. Rome in March) and it always looks great.. If its really cold and windy I may twist two pashminas together for extra warmth. I also take a pair or 2 of those cheap little gloves and always some kind of hat.As a matter of fact some of my favorite hats were actually purchased in Englands version of TJMaxx( so you can alway shop for hats while there) Also a velvety skirt with leggings is a cozy and fashionable outfit.
Have a great time!

Posted by
1986 posts

Black zip-out lined raincoat has served us well over many years (Summer and winter visits). We bought ours one rainy summer in London. That and some sweaters is all you will probably need. Heavy sweater may be too warm inside or in tubes

Posted by
40 posts

Joyce, we visited London in mid March, 2004. Expect 40s-50s, breezy, occasional showers, and some sunny time too. We found the weather delightful (we're from Oklahoma where we get everything!!) and actually slept with our hotel window open at night. Everyone's given some great tips, and I really second the pashmina idea. I bought my first one while in London and still use it a lot. You will be surprised how dressy the locals are...very stylish! I so enjoyed seeing all the fashions on the streets: my first time to see a man with a nose ring and long dreadlocks in a fabulously expensive 3 piece suit, carrying a silk umbrella!

Posted by
16 posts

Thanks, everyone, I think I have a plan now. I believe that the coats we will bring are waterproof and light enough (trench types and jackets) and the pashmina is definitely something I was planning on. Layering will be the plan too; easy enough. It's absolutely true, once you get inside, you don't want a load of heavy coats to deal with. I laughed at the reply from Nigel from Birmingham....we operate the same way, we've got mutiple wardrobes and coats; the weather changes so dramatically here too. I'd rather buy any extras we'll need in the UK if we need to; hopefully the Thames won't freeze over while we're there!

Posted by
780 posts

I am going to London too in March 3-14. I have been there a few times and it might be between 48-55 during the day. I am not bringing a jacket with me. I figure if it gets too cold, I will simply buy one at M&S or someplace else. What a great usable, fashionable souvenir that will be!

Posted by
676 posts

I have a gray wool sweater from North Face that's perfect for cool weather, never too hot or too cool. Bought several years ago tho... It has a little pocket on upper chest which is where I put my Oyster card for easy access, as you need to put thru turnstile going in and out. Check their website. With it I wear different colored turtlenecks. I usually wear it every day, tho I don't go for long trips, it gets boring but then I have plenty of room for souvenirs!

Posted by
11507 posts

Joyce, my first visit to London was in March , about 10 years ago. It rained everyday, except one day,, it sleeted and wet snowed. It was often windy, and although I had brought a knee length pea coat( which was great) I had to buy gloves and a hat, I had brought a scarf that I literally had to wear on my head one day, peasant woman style as the wind was so cold my ears were freezing( hence had to buy a hat) . I have been to London three times since, all visits in June or July, and it has rained on all of those visits too, just not as cold. Most museums have cloakrooms, use them. Be warm outside and don't worry about carrying stuff around inside. I know Wisconson can be very cold in winter, but trust me , the wet cold is definately bone numbing in a different way. I ski, so I have been in -15 degree weather, but dry -15 is better then wet 5+.. ( this is all celcius) Silk underwear is a great idea ,, wish I had brought some for my March visit.

Posted by
12172 posts

While London probably won't be as cold as Wisconsin in March, temperature wise, it's always seemed to be a different kind of cold - wet feeling. Start with an unlined water and wind proof shell. Add layers of lightweight (100 weight) polar fleece or wool for warmth. I always look for things that aren't bulky because they pack better. Wool socks and waterproof walking shoes are also a definite plus. Costco sells some hiking socks that are 70% Merino wool, four pairs for $10, that I've always liked.

Posted by
970 posts

Brina alludes to something I wanted to mention earlier: The interior of Tube cars, and some stations, can be very toasty during winter.You'll want to strip off the coats and perhaps the sweaters. Pretty much the same principle applies to going in and out of doors, something tourist do frequently. While it's no fun to be cold, it's also no fun to sweltering inside three layers of clothing once you're indoors someplace. In the past, I've had pretty good luck wearing a sweater over a shirt, with a lined leather jacket over that.

Posted by
98 posts

Hi Joyce, I have to jump on the Pashmina bandwagon. We travel to London frequently and it's almost always between January and March so I've tried all the variations from the puffy coats to the umpteen layers and I've finally figured out what works for me and it's not the bulky layers. The bulky stuff is difficult to pack and is usually far more than I need. Layers are definitely the way to go. I start with a looser fitting tank or camisole, sometimes silk, sometimes wearever, followed by a cotton mix long sleeve thin t-shirt. Another light weight sweater or velvet shirt over that and then a light weight rain jacket which really helps to break the wind. I always pack a thinsulate vest that I can add to my layers and I top it all off with a pashmina if needed. Both the pashmina and the vest can be relegated to my backpack should I start to feel too warm while visiting museums. Socks and sock liners are always on my list...keep your feet warm and the rest of you tends to follow. For me, gloves are essential but hats are a maybe kind of thing. If I need one, I buy it there. I have very short hair so ear warmers are helpful and if I don't need them I just toss them in my bag and they take up less space than a travel pack of kleenex. I never leave the flat without an umbrella. My husband is similar in that he wears a long sleeve body armor shirt, a flannel button up and tops that with a very nice wool vest. (I'm allergic to wool or I would do the same) He rarely uses a scarf but always wears gloves and on our last trip he opted for his carhartt rather than a rain coat and he was quite content. Hope this helps - have a great trip and stay warm!