Please sign in to post.

Double beds in Ireland

Just curious if anybody ever has struggled w/ sleeping in a double bed as an American couple in Europe? Is a double bed the same as ours? That would mean it's smaller than a full? Any insights would be helpful...we aren't even big people..thanks!

Posted by
80 posts

No struggle at all. Sleep in one all the time. I honestly can't tell you if the double beds here are smaller, but I do know my American sheets fit perfectly :) You both should be fine.

Posted by
11507 posts

My experience in Europe is that you will RARELY find a king or even a queen sized bed in most moderatly priced hotels. Their double beds seem to be what we would call a double bed here.
I think two average sized adults fit fine in a double bed,, its not ideal, I would prefer a queen myself( hubby is 6'4" ) but for a holiday it is survivable.
Now, if the two adults are largish,, well I could see that being less pleasant.

As Steve says, I have also seen my fair share of two twin beds pushed close together and sometimes sheeted as one bed, or not , depending on how room is booked( as a twin or double).

Linda,, years ago most people did in fact sleep in double beds,, the queen size ( and king size) beds were not that common 40-50 years ago,, so I think most Americans would be absolutely fine in a double.

Posted by
2023 posts

We ask for twins (pushed together or not) because there is no way two adults, normal size, are going to get a decent nights sleep in a double bed. Think of it this way: width wise (but not length) a double bed is no wider than two crib mattresses side by side. And we all know the size of the little sleeper who fits into a crib. On rare occasion if there is no other choice, we can manage one night if that is all that is available. Good rest is a priority when traveling and that is not going to happen wo decent bedspace.

Posted by
2776 posts

I agree with Pat, people slept in double beds for so many years and did just fine. When we are in Europe we sleep in a double and get a good night sleep. If you don't think you can sleep in a double then ask for a room with two twin beds.

Posted by
4 posts

Ah, but years ago people were smaller :) We had a wonderful deluxe king bed at our B & B near Galway last summer

Posted by
635 posts

My wife got so concerned about the double bed that I made a posting one evening. Then we had another conversation later and when I woke up I made another. I was "lashed" by several regulars for double postings.

We haven't slept on anything smaller than a queen since 1976 and she's very concerned. I eventually decided that if worse comes to worse I'll sleep on the floor.

Posted by
5678 posts

My sister and brother-in-law sleep nightly in a double bed. They aren't over six foot, but they aren't midgets either.

Pam

Posted by
11507 posts

This is such a funny thread,, really, I understand wanting to be comfortable, but some of the posters seem to feel if their leg or arm accidently touches their bedmates that all hell will break lose,,,

Cuddle up time folks.. its ok not to go all the way.. LOL

Big folks,, yes, it could be a drag,, but average folks will be fine. Heck, I have slept in a double bed with a friend( female) when hotel screwed up a booking once and neither one of us ended up pregnant.LOL