Please sign in to post.

Dialing 999 From UK-enabled cell phone

I have what may seem at first glance to be a strange question: Does anyone know if I would have any problems dialing 999 from my US cellphone number? We are staying in a rented flat that has no land-line. I'll have a Verizon international phone that has my US cell phone number. If, God forbid, there was an emergency - could I get through to 999? I have a feeling if I ask Verizon they're just going to say "sure" and give me another copy of the dialing instructions. Just want to know on the off chance I might need this information - I was a girl scout, and still subscribe to the notion it's best to be prepared. ;-)

Posted by
1152 posts

Bobbi, it is supposed to work. If you have an international phone - so it has the right radio frequencies to even make a connection - calling one of the universal emergency numbers - 112, 911, or 999 - should work. In fact, I think most phones are programmed to convert whatever number you input into the appropriate one for where you are. That is, dialing 911 in Europe will actually call 112 (or possibly 999). I've read that the European Union has standardized on 112 as its emergency number.

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks. I feel better now. I'm not usually such a worrier.