Please sign in to post.

Day Trips From London

We (2 adults, 2 young teens) have BritRail London Plus passes and would like suggestions for day trips from London. We have already planned to go to Salisbury and have thought about Bath, but we'd like other ideas. We'll be in London from mid November to late November.

Posted by
1717 posts

Windsor Castle. Going to Canterbury Cathedral and the medieval town there is a pleasant day trip from London. The high - speed train goes from Saint Pancras station in London to Canterbury in about 50 Minutes. I was there, in the last week in October, 2011.

Posted by
33164 posts

Dover - castle, tunnels, WWII Oxford Cambridge Bletchley - one station south of Milton Keynes - for Bletchley Park where the Enigma Code was broken in WWII Worcester - Cathedral with fabulous bells Moreton-in-Marsh for the Cotswolds Portsmouth - if you like Navy Penzance - for the pirates and Cornwall and seafood Lyme Regis in Dorset - for the Jane Austen connections and beautiful seafront and the Mole
Hereford - the home of Cider, and great Cathedral with the so very famous Chained Library and the Mappa Mundi

Posted by
3428 posts

Windsor, York, Cardiff, Winchester, Brighton, Stratford-upon-Avon, Canterburry, Dover, and lots more. If you send me a private message with you email, I'll send you a copy of an article I wrote for AAA Carolina's "Go!" magazine about basing yourself in London and doing day trips by train.

Posted by
19 posts

Canterbury for the cathedral Stratford-on-Avon if you have any interest in the Bard
either Oxford or Cambridge--I prefer Oxford, but many favor Cambridge Enjoy!

Posted by
1397 posts

Priscilla I may be biased but I second the suggestion of Brighton! Only an hour from Victoria and you can visit the Royal Pavilion http://www.visitbrighton.com/culture/royal-pavilion-p52803 stroll along the seafront into Hove http://www.mmhistory.org.uk/students/Shau-lan/SLCHoveBeg.htm and wander through the shops of North Laines http://www.northlaine.co.uk/northlaine-information.html We also have some great cafes, pubs and restaurants. If that doesn't tempt you how about Hastings and Battle Abbey? http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/1066-battle-of-hastings-abbey-and-battlefield/ Have a good trip. Alan

Posted by
3580 posts

Portsmouth naval history, ships, tour of the harbor, possible ferry trip to Isle of Wight Cambridge walkable, Kings college chapel, punting on the Cam Bath always a great place to visit for the Roman baths, costume museum, abbey, and shopping Bournemouth attractive city with a wonderful beach Look at the map that accompanies the LondonPlus Pass. You may come up with more ideas of places to go. I love the LondonPlus Pass and have used it several times. If you time it right, you can use tickets that come with the pass for train travel to/from the airports.

Posted by
964 posts

Got some photos of Bournemouth (it's where I live) on my blog at www.maggiesmagicpantry.blogspot.com The photos are back a bit now but if you just look on the right hand side you'll find the tag and then just click on it. Enjoy!
Maggie

Posted by
11507 posts

Personal opinion,, since you are going in november,, weather may well be wet and cold( heck its been like that in the summer for me for 3 out of 4 visits) so consider daytrips that have some indoor attractions.. I liked Brighton very much, but see little fun in wandering along the likely deserted boardwalk if it is pouring rain..
Bath as The Baths, which is actually very interesting and the tea room. Plus, hope its still there, but I enjoyed the Costume Museum in Bath very much and if your teens are female they will likely also enjoy seeing gowns and outfits throughout the ages, starting with medieval times and going right up into the present day. Stratford on Avon bored my teen son to death,, and is also more of a fair weather place to me ,,as I personally didn't mind wandering about there a bit,, but as I said, in foul weather,, not so fun I would think. Haven't been to Windsor yet, but it sounds like a safe bet to me. My teen son loved Warwick Castle, but part of the attraction was the big outdoor jousting show,, assuming that they do not do that in winter?