Please sign in to post.

Day Trip From Dublin

Hi,

What is a good place to visit on a day trip out of Dublin?

Thank you in advance.

Posted by
34 posts

Thank you, Nancy and Teresa. This is very helpful.

Posted by
9369 posts

You have two basic options. One is Newgrange and the Boyne River Valley. If you are taking a tour, some of them include the Hill of Tara, and Slane, too. Newgrange is one of my favorite places in Ireland, but you have to get there fairly early in the morning if you want to be assured of being able to go into the tomb, as spaces are limited.

Your other option is Glendalough, Powerscourt, and the Wicklow Mountains. Depending on when you are traveling, it can be a beautiful drive through there, and Glendalough has a lot to see. You'll also find lots of day tours to the area. If you're driving, you might also visit Avoca and the woollen mills there (oldest in Ireland, and you can walk right in and watch them work).

Posted by
919 posts

My BF, his mom and I took the suburban rail from Dublin to Malahide for the day. It's a well-kept, pretty seaside town whose main attraction is Malahide Castle. It made for a low-key but very enjoyable (and fairly inexpensive) day out.

EDITED TO ADD: Like Nancy, we also went to Avoca. Adorable little town, and I regret not buying something at the woollen mill, but I don't think we would have spent more than ten minutes there if we weren't fans of "Ballykissangel." If you're driving and it's nearby (and particularly if it's time for lunch or a pint), then it's certainly worth stopping.

Posted by
93 posts

My favorite day trip is the tour to Wicklow Mountains. Dublin is a fun city, but it doesn't allow you to see the green beauty that is Ireland. Wicklow Mountains are absolutely beautiful, not too expensive. I have always gone with Wild Wicklow Tours.

Posted by
12040 posts

The tour bus I took to Glendalough also stopped in Avoca. I'm sure there was some kind of backdoor agreement going on, and like a tool, I bought a wool shawl, blanket and hat. But it is a cute little village. And, much to my surprise, the food they sell in the little cafeteria by the store? Simple but absolutely delicious, my first revelation that traditional Irish food doesn't necessarily suck.

Posted by
34 posts

I took a tour from Dublin to the Cliffs of Morh. We stopped to see a Castle, and then to have lunch in Doolin. The Cliffs were amazing, and it was nice getting to see the country by train.

Posted by
134 posts

Glendalough is hard to beat. However, it can get very crowded on Sundays. There are a number of organized tours as well as bus service. The visitors center is outstanding.

Posted by
484 posts

The Irish Rail day trip to the Giants Causeway makes for a long day but is very enjoyable. The train trip from Dublin to Belfast is very scenic or as someone else has suggested Belfast is only two hours from Dublin and would make for a great day trip.