Please sign in to post.

Day in London

I am staying at the Grosvenor for a day on the way to Harwick for a cruise. Traveling with my 86 yr old mom and wondered what would be easy way for her to see some of London. We have both been there before but need a refresher. I want to see the EYE.

Posted by
1499 posts

Just visit all the fabulous places and sites along the Thames. Take a bus or the tube or taxi.

Posted by
970 posts

Unless you are certain all the walking involved in using the Tube won't be a problem for your mom, I'd suggest using buses and taxis. You might think about focusing on 2-3 "neighborhoods" that are easily accessible bus or cab. One might be Parliament/Westminster Abbey. A walk across Westminster Bridge gets you to the Eye and a stroll along the South Bank. If you can schedule things to avoid needed a bus or a cab during the rush hours, so much the better. Take or buy a cellphone that works in London. Load up some taxi numbers, etc.

Posted by
7 posts

I'd suggest taking one of the Hop-on Hop-off bus tours. It would minimize the amount of walking your mom would have to do, allow both of you to get a "refresher" on the London sights, as well as allow you to get off at any of the stops you might want to explore a bit more- including the London Eye.

Posted by
1986 posts

I agree. Hop On, Hop off bus seems to make the most sense. Or a London Tour by one of the bus tour companies. How about finding your mother's favorite places and then using a taxi to get back. (great excuse for an English tea break).

Posted by
33 posts

I recommend the Churchill War Rooms and the Imperial War Museum, both fairly close to the London Eye. Your mom might have memories of her own about WWII, and these two sights might spark some great conversations. Also, around the corner from the Eye, on the street by the Marriott Hotel is a fantastic French Bakery that's dripping with Alice in Wonderland charm. I'll look up the street and post another reply.

Posted by
1 posts

Sophie - would you mind posting the name of the bakery? I will be staying with my mother at the Marriott County Hall and the bakery sounds wonderful!